what shud be running??

discopants 23:00 01 Oct 07

what should be running in task manager?? i seem to have that much going on its unreal when i look in the performance section the cpu is running around 90% to even more at times?? should this be that high?? and how do i know what things should be running on my task manager?? thanks in advance guys

brundle 23:09 01 Oct 07

Every system is different, some of the tasks are essential, others are programs you have running at the time, others are background services required by Windows, still more are often programs that start up
with the PC that are not essential. Take a look at start-up entries first click here. CPU at 90% is not normal. Update your antivirus, reboot your machine and run a full scan, get a good antispyware application and scan with that too.
click here

brundle 23:11 01 Oct 07

90% is OK if you are doing things (depending on software you are using and how much memory your PC has), but not if the system is `idle` and not busy with other tasks.

Acx 01:57 02 Oct 07

If you have programs set to run automatically
(like windows defender), you will see things like system idle process taking up a lot of resource's, that's normal (until they have finished).

Marko797 10:31 02 Oct 07

is not normal in my view. Seems that u have a lot of stuff running. Open up tsk mgr, click the Processes tab and look for items which relate to your user name. There'll be a mix of System items, & User items. (Best not to mess with the System items however). From the User items, check what's running and close down the one's which shouldn't be. Either highlight and click 'end process' or rt click the item and then select 'end process' option.
I think ideally ur *System Idle Process* (not CPU Usage) should be at about 97-99%. Try it out.

birdface 17:08 02 Oct 07

Under CPU if you have nothing running.system idle Process should be showing about 97% everything else the remaining 3%.

discopants 19:25 02 Oct 07

mspxy.exe is running in my procesess and i googled it and msproxy.exe came up which said it was trojan but google didnt know what mspxy was ? its using about6040 k

Marko797 19:59 02 Oct 07

shut it down if it's USER process..worst thing that cud happen is u need to re-boot. Be wary of the trojan indication tho via google, it's not always accurate and can direct u to sites that cud scare.

Strawballs 00:59 03 Oct 07

I would suggest an anti virus scan and a scan with any adaware programs you have and see if that helps.

You could also click on start run and type msconfig and click ok then go to the start up tab and see how many things are ticked in there, if running XP only leave your anti-virus any realtime spyware progs and things like wireless keyboard, mouse or network cards then untick the rest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…