what should i look out for before i upgrade??

bta1 22:38 14 Jul 05

I am going to upgrade my graphics card, (to a g-force 128mb thing)because my current graphcis are on board and after three years i have realised thats crap.

Also, i would like to increase my hard disk, possibly my processor (only if i absolutley have to) and i have just brought a dvdrw.

I have a 2.0ghz celron processor with 512mb and 80g hard disk, running xp.
The mother board is:-
Board: Shuttle Inc MV43
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 04/02/01

So what should i look out for before i buy anything. And does anyone know if this stuff is easy. (I've read about it and it looks easy.)

woodchip 22:48 14 Jul 05

You need to tell us what you use your computer for

herc182 22:51 14 Jul 05

if you have on board graphics with a 2ghz celeron i would guess that your upgrade is for gaming. if so what is your budget?

I am a novice and have fitted a hard drive, dvd write, power supply and graphics card (with the total help of this forum) so it is not difficult to do.

bta1 01:13 15 Jul 05

"What do you use your computer for?"

Not much. Mainly for work. in all honesty it doesn't NEED upgrading but i want to.

I wouldn't want to spend more than £200 on the lot, any more i may aswell buy a new one.

And yes, the new graphics card is for games but i am not too concerned with the most up to date 3d consoles type games. i have an x-box for that.

What concerns me is whether the new hardware will clash with the old stuff. So i buy a new graphics card and its usless. Also the fact that i don't really know what i am doing.

Completealias 01:28 15 Jul 05

The first thing that you need to do is find out the specs of your motherboard eg does it have an AGP slot ( Accelerated graphics port) if so then you can get an AGP graphics card, as far as processor upgrades you will need to find out what cpu's your motherboard supports

Everest will help with finding out what hardware you have in your machine click here if you need some help finding out / understanding the info then post and will try and help, when you open everest just goto report / report wizard and choose hardware related pages, this will then generate a report of the hardware in your system, eg motherboard make and model

bta1 01:50 15 Jul 05

This is what everst threw out. (Incidently thats the most fascinating programme i have ever seen.)
i am guessing where it says agp 1, is a good thing.
Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron, 2000 MHz (20 x 100)
Motherboard Name Shuttle MV43(N) (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8751 Apollo P4M266
System Memory 480 MB (PC133 SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (12/27/02)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Completealias 17:35 15 Jul 05

Ok I cant seem to find a manual for your motherboard at the mo will have a look again later when I have bit more time.

Ok so you do have an AGP slot the next thing to find out is if its 2x 4x or 8x then you can find out what graphics card you can upgrade too open up everest again, (it is very good isn't it i was much impressed with it) now on the left hand side where it lists your devices expand the motherboard section and then click on chipset. Now in the right hand side scroll down until you see AGP controller what speeds does it list in supported AGP speeds?

bta1 17:39 15 Jul 05

it says 1x 2x.

oh dear that doesn't sound very promising.

Completealias 18:26 15 Jul 05

Ok for what reading i've just done it looks like a 4x times card stands a good chance of working in a 2x slot at 2x speed.

Completealias 18:30 15 Jul 05

You may want to consider a PCI graphcs card as well thou just having a look around now

Completealias 18:44 15 Jul 05

Heres a PCI offering from ebuyer click here PNY Geforce FX 5500 with 128Mb of memory and TV-out just under £40 including VAT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…