What should a great e-commerce site offer?

Dalglish2 20:21 18 Feb 07

Hi
I am commissioning a web designer to produce a good clean website that will allow PayPal payments for goods in my new soft furnishings business.
What I would like to know is what key things should I make sure he includes in the site to make it accessible, satisfying to the visitor and productive financially?
Cross browser compatibility is my main point to him.
Many thanks
Steve

Forum Editor 22:37 18 Feb 07

isn't something your designer can do - that's down to you, or rather your products.

One of the main points I stress to clients is the fact that an e-commerce site is visible all over the planet, and you must remember this when designing the site. If you don't want to receive orders from Japan, or anywhere else utside the UK you must say so, loud and clear, on the homepage.

If you do want international orders then be prepared to handle them. People who buy online expect almost instant gratification - goods must be delivered speedily. Apart from that, the site must be able to handle different currencies, which will be the case if you use PayPal credit card processing. Remember that for credit card payments you'll need a Paypal business account - they don't provide the service for normal accounts.

It's impossible to tell you what will make the site satisfying to visitors without knowing a good deal more, but your site designer should be able to advise you on that aspect of the project. He/she will pay careful attention to navigation and visual clarity - soft furnishings need lots of images, I imagine, and the quality of these will be critical - people buy with their eyes.

barryoneoff.co.uk 22:47 18 Feb 07

is that if you are paying a professional to do the job, you shouldn't have to tell him anything. Especially something as basic as cross browser compatability.

You only need to do these things if you are getting your brother in law, or a mate to 'knock up' a site for you.

Dalglish2 22:08 19 Feb 07

thanks guys.
Meeting went well and all your points were brought up.
MAny thanks - feel I have a steer now
Cheers
Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…