What Security Should I have?

amyjen7 11:49 18 Jun 08

I have owned my Pc for over 6 weeks running Vista Premium Home Edition relying on the built in security to keep me safe. I get conflicting views as to whether this is a enough. Could you please help and if applicable suggest any additional software and whether it can be ran and loaded at the same time as running Vista security?

Thank you very much

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:01 18 Jun 08

Use a free AV such as Avast or AVG free. One real time spyware protector such as Spyware Terminator (free) and the inbuilt Vista firewall or your router firewall will be more than enough. Do not pay for protection as there is no earthy need for a home user to pay. Get an 4 or 8Gb memory stick (£20) and don't forget to backup your important files. Don't get too much protection or you will get confused or go batty.

G

RobCharles1981 12:49 18 Jun 08

Wort

You should really learnt for yourself on using the "search forum" at the top of the page.

click here

birdface 13:07 18 Jun 08

SpywareBlaster+Winpatrol.The only two that I can think off.Can you tell us what Security programs that you actually have including Firewall.

birdface 13:10 18 Jun 08

Looks like everyone not happy with Vista Security. click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:13 18 Jun 08

'AV firms rubbish MS Vista security claims'...and you really expected them to say anything different *cough* utter cobblers *cough8 /yawn

G

birdface 13:34 18 Jun 08

Maybe.But I agree with them.First thing I did was to delete them all and I now use the freebies.I don't think I am a minority 50% like Microsoft security 50% don't[rough estimate] not good odds to me.I am sure there are lots of folk quite happy with it but it is up to the person themselves to use what they are happy with.If Wort is happy enough he should not change,But because he has asked the question he is obviously not sure.Always handy to have something to fall back on if something goes wrong.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 18 Jun 08

1. One firewall that blocks both incoming and outgoing

2. One Antivirus

3. As much Antispyware as your paranoia dicates :0)
Sufficent is a blocker + a realtime scanner + a backup scanner (to check the first two)

4. Antispam

5. A cleaner - something to clear away all the trash files that will fill up the machine.

Recommendations (these all work well together, don't use much resoureces and are all free)

1. ZoneAlarm or sygate firewalls
2. Avast or AVG
3. Windows defender (realtime scanner),+ SuperAntispyware + SpywareBlaster(blocker)
4. Spaminhilaor or mailwasher
5. CCleaner

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…