what is sata against ata

Nessie 22:29 01 Nov 03

what is sata. what is its advantages

DieSse 23:38 01 Nov 03

SATA is Serial ATA. It's the newest form of interface from the hard drive to the system. It uses simpler data cables and different power cable to your hard drive.

It promises to be better and faster - but at present it's not really faster at all, and systems are not really ready for it - hence the number of problems when trying to set up SATA drives from scratch.

However it's bound to become the standard, because technology has to move forward, for better or worse.

At present IMHO, I would not use it. In a couple of years time, all new systems will probably use it as standard!

DieSse 23:40 01 Nov 03
  Chegs ? 02:29 02 Nov 03

I have two 120Gb SATA hdd's.I was chuffed to bits with them once I had figured out how to install an OS onto them.This joy was short-lived however,when XP crashed/locked-up and "lost" data after each restart.I was having to Repair/Reinstall several times a day.I gave up and put my OS onto an IDE hdd,with 240Gb's of storage space.Linux refuses to acknowledge their existence,XP Home/Pro both struggle to exist on a SATA hdd only(IDE switched off in BIOS)system.Tried two different drivers for SATA,neither was better/worse than the other although one was WHQL cert and the other wasn't.Save your dosh until later "revisions" of SATA appear.

david.h 09:16 02 Nov 03

sata version 2 due out just after xmas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…