What Router should I buy for Medion 350 Notebook

mil8 08:44 20 Jan 06

I've just bought the Medion 350 Notebook from Woolworths and I need to know which is the best compatable router I should get for it.Will the built in 56k V90 modem cause me any problems? Plus can anyone give me some advice on how best to get AOL off it as I've heard it can be messy!

Mavericke 09:32 20 Jan 06

I think it depends on what you need. I would think a Belkin, Netgear or a Linksys router will suit you well. It is all up to you but it is best to purchase a router which has wireless and wired capabilities. It is best to look for a MIMO router too. As for wireless capabilities, please ensure that the router is capable of 802.11 a/b/g. If best, get one which supports 'n' too although it might be quite expensive.

Log on to click here, click here, ebuyer.com or amazon.co.uk and good luck!

Mavericke 09:35 20 Jan 06

If you are thinking of using AOL, please make sure that you remember your username and password when you sign up for AOL as you will need it to log on to AOL.
AOL will require you to have a BT,NTL or Telewest landline and it will supply you with a modem, a filter and also a connection cable. Good luck with AOL.
The installation may get a little bit messy the first time but it should be alright if you follow the on screen instructions.

rmcqua 09:40 20 Jan 06

Don't worry about the built in 56k modem. If you want to be sure it won't try to dial up, just disable
it in control panel.

reen 15:39 24 Jan 06

i bought same notebook last week and am using a Linsky router which is working well.
How do you find laptop? any problems?

ade.h 16:05 24 Jan 06

Belkin, certainly (provided you go for the 7632 - the 7230 has had mixed results). I've had a happy and easy two months with my 7632.

Linksys, probably.

Netgear, probably not. I can't move these days for bumping into a friend/relative/client/whoever who will say to me "I've got a Netgear router and I can't get it to work. Can you help?"

In each case, it's one of two things that are quite common to some Netgear models; either they can't work out how to set it up, or it's a Friday afternoon build and has to go back.

Probably not worth spending silly money on one of the boosted sets that require their own PC cards/wifi adapters, such as Pre-N. If my 54g Belkin can feed a perfect reliable and fast signal through the solid walls of my house, then the only thing that might make a boosted setup really good to have is video streaming.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5