What router do i need?

OliverNarramore 18:27 28 Jun 14

Hi, i'm currently with sky fibre-broadband and we're receiving 40 Mbps throughput and 10 Mbps upload however wireless nor ethernet speeds ever reach that. We're quite a big household living in a victorian villa (thick walls etc) with the following devices: 4 iPhones 2 Playstation 4's (1 is connected using a powerline adapter) 2 Playstation 3's 4 Laptops 2 Desktops (1 is connected using a powerline adapter) 6 iPads 4 smart TVs a Sky on demand wireless box 3 Apple tv boxes

Almost all of these are used simultaneously with netflix streaming and 2 playstations playing so we need a router that can cope with that as well as have an amazing range. Can anyone help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:02 28 Jun 14

Almost all of these are used simultaneously

Then your 40Mbps is being shared by 20 devices, any router would struggle to cope.

OliverNarramore 19:07 28 Jun 14

I understand that, i meant even with all the devices disconnected and only one laptop connect via ethernet download speeds are never over 30. Also by struggling to cope i mean it won't connect to the router at all, would a business router help?

rdave13 19:20 28 Jun 14

OliverNarramore on the laptop that won't connect try deleting the set-up wifi connection (or forgetting it in Win 8) rebooting and set up the wifi connection again with no other machine connected.

27 machines connected to one router and the router is coping albeit just about is amazing.

If your phone line is also with Sky tell them your problem and get a deal on a second telephone line to your mansion with another router, worth asking. If too expensive then you can always say no.

Secret-Squirrel 20:02 28 Jun 14

Oliver, sorry to disappoint you but you're going to have problems getting a new router working. The two main problems are:

1) To setup a new router you're going to need your Sky username and password. This information isn't displayed anywhere in your current router and neither will Sky give you this information. It is possible to "hack" into your Sky router and extract those details however.

2) From what I can gather, Sky fibre uses some non-standard protocols so you may have difficulty finding a compatible router.

I'm sure it's possible to use a different router with Sky but it's going to be a lot more complicated than simply plugging the new one in and running the setup CD. Here's a YouTube video from a chap who's successfully setup a TP-Link router with Sky fibre.

By the way , Sky's terms and conditions state that you must use the Sky-provided router with Sky broadband.

Sorry it's not the news you were hoping for.

1]: [click here

rdave13 20:08 28 Jun 14

Hence the need for another line and internet connection for a large house. Sky might offer a deal or if not tell them you will ask other providers for a deal and when your contract is up then you will move. TalkTalk seem to bend over backwards for new customers.

Play them against each other.

OliverNarramore 20:13 28 Jun 14

Thanks for all the replies, will definitely phone and look around. Seems an extra line would be the most viable option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos