What router???

jono366 19:30 01 Mar 06

I am looking to buy a router for my pc and dont know what to get. What i want to do is have this router wired to my pc AND give a wirless connection to my sons pc. What do i need to get?. I have AOL and am using a bt voyager 105 modem. Both pc's have win xp pro. Am i better to buy a router with modem in it or can i use the one i have? I will prob go for a wireless usb dongle for the sons pc. I dont want both pc's wireless as i play alot of games online and i have heard the wireless is not great for online gaming. Hope someone out there can help....:)

smy13 19:57 01 Mar 06

click here

I've found this site very good, it gives you the basics but keeps it nice and simple. Personally I'd ditch your modem and go for a combined Modem/router I've found these easier to get along with My set up has my desktop wired and all the other PCs wireless. Check that your son's laptop does not already have a internal wireless capability before shelling out on a USB dongle or PCMCIA card.

Cuddles 20:38 01 Mar 06

Dixons are doing a Netgear DG834G with USB dongle for £64.99.

woodchip 20:58 01 Mar 06

click here
I use 3Com

ade.h 21:24 01 Mar 06

There are very few routers that claim to accept USB modems, and the most popular example - from Linksys - is most definitely not up to the company's usual standard. getting it to work with a USB modem is not much fun, believe me!

Given the minor price difference get a modem-router.

Try to avoid USB adapters unless you want to be posting in Networking very soon! PCMCIA and PCI are much more reliable.

3Com is well-reputed brand, but I've yet to find any info about setting them up, which is a real nuisance when trying to advise people.

Belkin is bloomin' brilliant, provided you set it up right (which applies to all routers, actually). Netgears are largely good too.

As a rule of thumb, don't bother with any boosted or Pre-N proprietary systems; standard 11g works fine in most homes and does not tie you to using an adapter when your laptop already has one!!

Set up a network incorrectly the first time, and you make it a lot harder to get there.

goonerbill © ® 00:13 02 Mar 06

hi jono366. what AOL package do you have dial-up, silver, gold or platinum. if you have gold or platinum AOL will assist you in setting up a home network click here

if you have dial-up or silver package, setting up a wireless or partual wireless home network, AOL do not help but can still use the info from the link above to set one up.

as for routers/modems heres a link to what AOL states as compatible with them (they have tested the items to work with the ISP but are not supported)click here plus heres a link to supported routers/modems click here p.s. try to stay away from USB dongles, use PCMCIA and PCI cards as mentioned by ade.h

goonerbill © ® 00:23 02 Mar 06

forgot to mention, may be a look on ebay could be a good idea. picked up a PCMCIA card for the other halfs laptop for £10.75 including p&p MODEL d-link DWL-G650 108G airplus extremeG

may also be a good idea that any items bought are from the same manufacturer, that way you have less chance of any comunication problems between modem/router and wireless card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…