What to replace a Dell Inspiron 2500 with

spannerchimp 13:42 13 Jun 08

Hi All,

Hope someone out there can help me.

I have a 5 year old Dell Inspiron 2500 with a DVD RW and 350Mb of ramand a PIII 900Mhz chip that cost around £1300 when new. Whe new it was a fair price and performed very well compared to most and not what I would consider a low end budget laptop at the time. Unfortunately it met with a terrible fate last week and is now in laptop heven.

My insurance company have palmed me off with a Samsung R60FYOC/SUK with a celeron M processor and Vista. I have had this for a few days and become so infuriated with Vista and the fact that the new laptop take ages to start and to do anything, I start a program and nothing happens. To top it of the battery life is pretty poor as well, I now Vista is not too hot and may be contributing to the poor performance, but I know that at least my old dell worked when buttons were pressed.

My insurance company have now told me to go and find a sutable replacement as I am not happy with the Samsung, but I'm a bit of a novice so have no idea what the current laptop/s that would have repalced my would be. As my insurance is a like for like its not a case of a new laptop with a 900Mhz chip. As technology has moved on so you now get more for your money and I feel that a laptop with a single celeron processor 1 Gb of ram and a low level of response and battery life is at the lower end of the market, or am I just being picky

Can anyone advise if the Samsung I have been given is a modern version of the Inspiron 2500 or have I been palmed off with a budget laptop

Thanks all

skidzy 13:52 13 Jun 08

Is your insurance company limiting you to a specific retailer ?

I had a claim last year and was limited to PCWorld.

However,ive just bought this for my son click here just waiting on the delivery (today).

Though Dell take some beating for product stability and normal build with a good engine.

If you decide on Vista,make sure you get at least 2GB of ram and preferably a core2duo cpu.
Vista needs 2GB of ram to run effectively especially if it Vista Home Premium or above.

Clapton is God 13:54 13 Jun 08

For what it's worth, Dell's Inspiron of the moment is the 1525 if you want to compare against the Samsung click here

Ditch999 13:59 13 Jun 08

The immediate comparision is the fact that the Samsung has a Celeron and your old one had a PIII, which was near the top of the range at the time.
A top of the range CPU now would be a Core 2 Extreme click here X9xxx X7xxx or X6xxx versions or a Core 2 Duo click here T8xxx or T9xxx versions.
350mb of RAM would now be at least 2GB DDR2 and as you dont mention graphics I cant comment, but if you get a laptop with the above CPU and RAM it would do very nicely.

spannerchimp 14:25 13 Jun 08

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I was thinking along the lines of the processor being of a lower spec that the original. As covered above by Ditch999, the PIII was near the top end and the Celeron is near the lower end. That said I'm not after a top of the range just one that sits in the laptop world league at the same sort of position as the dell used to 5 years ago. I also take on board the fact that the samsung will be faster than my old dell, but this came with just 1 Gb or Ram, although the assesoment company that my insurance company uses said they kindly upgraded it to 1 Gig of ram, this is the base version and it comes with that ram as standard.

As for the grafix on the dell they were an on board version and no i'm not limited to any company either. The insurance company kind of screwed up and admited that Vista is not the best program, is memory and processor hungry and as a result eats up the batt life, but they still offer clients low end models.

ambra4 03:02 14 Jun 08

The Dell's Inspiron is being replaced with the Vostro models the Inspiron model is no longer

available in the US only in the UK

Look at this model I thing you would be very please, just bought one for my son who is studying

in the US for his PHD plus the companies that I support in the Caribbean have replaced 6 of there

old Inspiron laptop with this model

Vostro 1510

UK Price £584.00 Ex. VAT & Shipping

Base: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5870 (2.0 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB)

Operating System: Genuine Windows® Vista™ Business (SP1) with XP Pro installed and Vista

Media - English (Check what this is about is XP or Vista installed)

LCD: 15.4" Widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with Anti-Glare Coating

Integrated Web Cam: 1.3 MP Web Cam

Memory: 3072MB (1x2048 & 1x1024) 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel

Hard Drive: 250GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive

Video Card: Intel J Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator

Optical Devices: Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software

Primary Battery: Primary 6-cell 58 WHr Lithium Ion battery

Shipping Documents: English - Documentation Vostro Laptop

Dell System Media Kit: V1510 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)

Cables: 1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK

Keyboard: Internal Keyboard - English (QWERTY)

Standard Warranty: 1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day

Support Services: 1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day Onsite

Protect your new PC: No Security/Anti-Virus Protection (Download Free AVG software)

Microsoft Application Software: Microsoft® Works 9.0 - English

Mouse: Dell™ Bluetooth Travel Mouse

Bluetooth: Dell™ Wireless 360 Bluetooth® Module (Vista)

Wireless Networking: Dell™ Wireless 1395 (802.11 b/g) MiniPCI Card

Power Supply: 65W Power Adapter (3 Wire)

Go the UK site and check it out

click here

General Sales 0870 907 5819

Software & Peripherals Sales 0870 907 5083

Axim Sales 0870 152 4636

Customer Care General Order Enquiries 0870 906 0010

Technical Support Queries 0870 908 0800

ambra4 03:30 14 Jun 08

By the way XP will only be available until the 18 June from Dell US not sure about the UK position

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…