what is 'recovery' partition please?

buel 12:16 13 May 09

Hi, first of all let me apologise to the helproom for asking so many questions, im just keen to learn more!
Ok, i have a thread already on here where my brother's internal h.d is damaged and wont let him boot up windows, i have connected the h.d to my working pc and even though i cant 'drag' any data from it i can 'see' it and i notice it has a partition that says 'Recovery', also my 3year old medion laptop has the same partition, my question is please can anyone tell me what exactly these recovery folders are for? how do they 'recover' your pc/laptop?
Thank you!

wiz-king 12:42 13 May 09

Tey contain the information that was on the PC when it left the factory. If you use it you will not have any you have put onto the PC since you got it - programs, documents, pictures etc. It takes the place of the OS disk eg Windows XP.

User-1229748 12:44 13 May 09

they recover your pc to factory condition if you need to get out of a pc mess like a bad virus or the like,it's like reinstalling the operating system but it is only good for the pc that the partition is on.you can normally access the recovery program from your start menu and you will be able to access it from pressing one of your F buttons as your pc starts.i'm not very good at explaining things to be honest so my apologies if it reads like gobbledygook and there is nothing wrong with asking so many questions at all :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac