What is a recovery partition?

Devon Rex 12:58 20 Mar 05

I've just discovered a hidden "Recovery" partition of 2.44 GB on the HDD. Disk Management shows it as being formatted FAT32, healthy, but an unknown partition. The main partion, (C:), is formatted NTFS. Could anyone please explain what this partion is doing, do I need it, can I delete to regain the space?

leo49 13:09 20 Mar 05

This a method by which cheapskate box-shifters avoid the expense of providing a proper Microsoft OS CD.The data stored in this partition in unison with a 'Restore' disc or floppy enables the OS to be reinstalled and PC returned to 'as new'. it also gives their 'Helpline' drones a shortcut to 'solving' problems.Peachy for them but not so good for you if the HDD dies.

SEASHANTY 14:34 20 Mar 05

If you have a Medion PC then you will have the HDD partitioned into three separate partitions named
"C", "D" and "E". The PC's drivers are stored on "D". Partition "E" is named "Recovery". Do not delete this partition because if things go wrong you will need this to restore your system to its original factory condition. Medion do, also,supply the recovery disc together with the Windows XP disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…