What is 'Recovery console'?

buel 22:21 07 May 10

Hi, i have an xp laptop and when it starts up i get the option of a normal xp start up or i could choose the 'Windows recovery console', i have never chosen this, i would just like to know would any major changes take place if i were to choose this option please?

STREETWORK 22:24 07 May 10

click here

Its really only used if XP does not start correctly and can help identify problems...

buel 09:34 10 May 10

being as i have never used the recovery concole before, what would happen if i chose that option at boot up? Would i lose any data?

onthelimit 10:21 10 May 10

If you choose it by accident, you just get taken to another page with options, so you wouldn't lose anything unless you went further.

michaelw 10:48 10 May 10

It sounds like you need to do a repair as this option is usually only available on the xp disc. If you did do a 'repair' your data is safe but it's best to backup in case. You'll also have to redo all updates click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:55 10 May 10

This option is NOT only available from the disk

it can be install on the PC (and very useful if windows crashes).

How to install Recovery console click here

How to remove Windows Recovery Console

1. Log on as local administrator.

2. Double click on "My Computer" icon on the desktop.

3. In "My Computer" open: Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Mark the checkbox
"Show hidden files and folders" -and clear the "Hide protected operating system files" checkbox (please press on "Yes" to the confirm message).

4. Double click on the %systemdrive% (usually "C" drive) and delete "cmdcons" folder and the cmldr file from the root drive.

5. Right-click boot.ini on the system partition and select Properties, then clear the "Read-only" checkbox.

6. Double click on the "boot.ini" file (the file reside in the root of the %systemdrive%).

7. Remove the line C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

8. Save the boot.ini file and close the text editor.

* This procedure is not supported on 64 Bit version of 2000/2003/XP.

buel 23:43 10 May 10

Hi again and thank you for the excellent answers, ok i chose the recovery console but it went to a black screen and asked for the administrator passowrd, i have no idea what it is,is there a generic one by any chance please?

onthelimit 09:00 11 May 10

Usually admin!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:20 11 May 10

Recovery Console
This registry edit causes the Recovery Console not to ask for a password. This works for both XP Home and XP Professional.
Start | Run | Regedit
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
Exit Registry and Reboot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…