What RAM do you recommend?

Blanc Glacier 19:07 20 Mar 04

hello i was wondering if anyone could help me. I am currently using XP Pro and have 256MB SDRAM, however i have heard about DDR RAM from some friends saying that it is Double Data Rate, much quicker than my memory. However im not sure what to get. I have 2 DDR Slots in my Motherboard which is an "ASRock K7VM2" I have heard that EBuyer do their RAM would you recommend buying that or a more expenisve one like Cursial or whatever its called. Also what type of RAM would i require? I think 512MB is effectient enough? Thanks for your help.
Regards
Steve

VoG II 19:08 20 Mar 04

click here and use the memory selector.

I would recommend Crucial - excellent service.

Blanc Glacier 19:15 20 Mar 04

Can i use PC3200 on my ASRock K7VM2 motherboard? PC3200 is surpose to be the best isnt it?

Rayuk 20:47 20 Mar 04

Would agree with VoG go to Crucial,have seen many threads regarding suspect ram from ebuyer.

Totally-braindead 20:53 20 Mar 04

Regarding buying memory, it runs at different speeds and if your CPU is a slow one then their is no point in upgrading it alone as if it runs it won't run at full speed you'd need to upgrade your processor as well. Post the speed of the processor you have just now to get more advice. Incidentely I too think well of Crucial, I'd avoid buying memory from Ebuyer, I did once and never again - twice they replaced it with more faulty memory, it took ages to sort out.

bremner 20:56 20 Mar 04

The AsRock site click here says the board only takes 200/266Mhz DDR Ram this is confirmed on the Crucial site click here (see box top right)

You are therefore limited I think to PC2100

Blanc Glacier 23:05 20 Mar 04

my processor is a AMD Athlon XP 1800+ so would that need upgrading, because if i can help it i dont really want to spend much money!

Glyn-252301 23:23 20 Mar 04

Most folk would be happy with XP 1800 (unless you are a dedicated game player) I would follow the advice of VoG. I have done business with Crucial on about 20 occasions and have never had bad service. Regards G.

Glyn-252301 23:25 20 Mar 04

PS Bearing in mind what bremner showed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…