What RAM to Buy for Sony Vaio Laptop

tomraffe 13:33 06 Jan 08

Hello Everyone,
I've got a Sony Vaio VGN-FE11S with 1GB RAM and want to upgrade. The Sony site is fairly helpful and says the following

Memory Type SO-DIMM - 533Mhz (DDR2)

which is helpful enough. I've found something to that specification on Dabs. However when I click to buy RAN from the Sony shop (too expensive), the ram that they try to sell me is the same but is 667mhz.

I therefore have 2 questions...

Can I buy the faster 667mhz and it still work? Can I get any faster than this?

Also the maximum memory is 2GB, and I have 2 slots. Would I be better off buying 2 1GB, or 1 2GB and having a spare slot? It's the same price either way.

Thanks in advance.

brundle 13:35 06 Jan 08

click here and run the scan, can't recommend them highly enough

martjc 13:41 06 Jan 08

...at a certain speed. Sometimes if you put in RAM that's too fast for the system, it will run, but at a slower rate.
If Sony say it's ok to use 667 it will probably work fine but you won't notice any speed difference.

I'd advice you to look at Crucial's memory scan tool, which is <almoat> infallible.

click here

martjc 13:42 06 Jan 08

Ooops! Too slow.

tomraffe 14:27 06 Jan 08

Thanks for that. Both 667 and 533 came up in the compatibility list so I guess I could have either, although you suggested the 667 may be no advantage?

Any preference on brand? My options for 2 x 1GB are

Kingston ValueRam £25.98
PNY £27.98
Crucial Memory £32.89

martjc 13:01 07 Jan 08

...Their warranty is second to none.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…