what to put into 2nd partition?

Superstylin 23:07 31 Aug 05

hi, i have a 60gb hdd with 2 partitions of 30gb each.

i've been told the d: drive is for placing your important data ie the 'my documents' folder which includes 'my pictures', 'my music' etc......i've also put in my roboform data. is there anything else i should move from c: to d:? should i move the 'documents and settings folder' or the 'program files' folder since i have increased the applications in it by internet download and don't want to lose them if the os becomes corrupt

VoG II 23:25 31 Aug 05

It is questionable as to whether you need partitions at all. Where did this advice come from?

Superstylin 23:27 31 Aug 05

i really haven't got much option. i received a new acer laptop recently that came partitioned

kspatto 23:39 31 Aug 05

you could use the smaller partition to backup files from your c drive if for any reason you wished to reinstall windows
but with dvd writers(a lot safer backup area than your hard drive) i would only bother if it was already set up that way

i suppose if you wanted to you could use the other partition for a dual boot system

patto

Superstylin 23:43 31 Aug 05

can i put in my documents and setting floder and my program files or will that affect the operation?

Superstylin 00:46 01 Sep 05

i think i'm gonna resolve this and explore the possibility of deleting the partition

Mavisk 08:46 01 Sep 05

You can put your "my documents" folder in there by right clicking it and clicking properties and changing the target folder to the letter of your partition,that will keep all your saved data seperate from your OS.Its not really worth saving progs in there
unless space on your C drive is an issue, as it will scatter files in your registry on your C drive anyway,and if you had a problem with windows and had to reinstall,any progs on your partition would probably stop working.
The main advantage of a partition is if you are going to create an image of your C drive using the likes of ghost or acronis true image.Of course if your hard drive goes down the pan, you would lose everything anyway, so the best idea is a second hard drive.

Superstylin 11:37 01 Sep 05

thanks mavisk for the complete answer. much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…