What PSU would I need+Cheapest place for gfx card?

Silenced 20:36 08 Dec 08

I currently have a Packard Bell X2712 and I was wanting to get a Radeon HD 4870 1GB but I somehow thought it wouldn't be as simple because I will need a power boost for my PC.

So,

1) What is the best, cheapest PSU that would suit my needs
2) Where can I get the cheapest price for a Radeon HD 4870 1GB that would be worth getting for the price.

Unless of course, the Radeon HD 4870 1GB is bad and there is something better for the price.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:49 08 Dec 08

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.
3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters click here

2. Power supply calculator click here

3. Correct connections
Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin
There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs
Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives
SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

Unfortunately Packard Bell PCs tend to have an odd PSU and connections.

Silenced 21:19 08 Dec 08

I just measured out the dimensions of my PSU and it is this -

As it is in my PC right now (I'm measuring with my PC on, not a good idea I know)

6" wide, 5.5" long and 3.5" deep

Right now I'm just checking out the wires coming out, I see fat things labelled P1 up to P4 and a little smaller 4 pin thing connecting up to the top of my case where my USB's are, and other lights are.

Silenced 21:20 08 Dec 08

Also, I see one with lots of wires connecting to my motherboard.

I'm so helpful :P

Silenced 07:00 09 Dec 08

Ok, now I know what size my case is, how do I know which is 20 pin and which is 24 pin? And how can I find this 4 pin plug for Intel CPU's that is sometimes there

Silenced 16:14 09 Dec 08

Bump

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:21 09 Dec 08

how do I know which is 20 pin and which is 24 pin?

MAin plug on motherboard, count the pins

the pin socket for the Intel CPUs is right next to the CPU

Silenced 16:33 09 Dec 08

I've figured out all this, I have a ATX power supply, with a 24 pin connector, 4 connector things that goes into DVD drive and other things, and I have 2 connectors to HD's

Silenced 16:41 09 Dec 08

Ok, I've found a PSU that is 700W, would that be enough for my PC (Packard Bell X2712)

carver 17:55 09 Dec 08

Not all PSU's are the same, you have to check the total power it will give continuously, some of the cheaper PSU's have power ratings far beyond what they can operate at.

What make is this PSU you have found.

Silenced 18:20 09 Dec 08

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…