What processor for video and digi graphics work?

kiter 10:34 22 Feb 03

I need help in deciding on a processor. My next PC will have 1GB of RAM which (I hope) should help to reduce bottlenecks with video editing and digi pics work. But is it crucial to have a fast processor like an AMD 2800+ compared to a 2400+ (for much less money). Are we talking milliseconds in delays or is there a noticeable difference?? Is an Intel CPU better than an AMD for Video?? BTW heavy gaming not required.
May be PC Advisor picks this topic up for an article sometime - or is there one to refer to?
Thanks for your tips.

Lozzy 10:43 22 Feb 03

For Graphics and DV depending on your budget I would suggest Intel 3.06 with Hyper threading. all issues concerning HT are now resolved by Intel and I have it and in a word its BRILLIANT. I went with the Intel Mo-bo and 1.5gig of RD-Ram PC1066 the speed is lightening

kiter 21:32 22 Feb 03

If budget is unltd then this is an easy one. Your specs sound great and are surely on the other side of £2000 - but to be honest are these really necessary? There must be a deviding line where the CPU speed does not matter that much anymore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…