What problems would I have if I change motherboard

khaiiia 17:42 05 Jun 03

My existing motherboard does not work, and need to buy a new one.

I looked at different motherboard bundles (inc. new case) and I'm worried about whether my existing hard drives will be recognised by the new motherboard?

I hav western digital 40GB and Fujitsu 20GB hard drives. My present system is Intel P3 500Mhz but want to change to AMD AthlonXP. Would this effect anything at all?

Also would the chipset of the new motherboard matter if it is different to the existing one(which in my case is Intel)

any advise at all will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

keith-236785 17:49 05 Jun 03

only thing that would cause you problems is windowsXP

it will not accept a motherboard/processor/memory upgrade, resulted in blue screen of death for me.

had to re-install windowsXP

if you are running win98 or me then you should have no problems, you will have to install the motherboard drivers but thats all.

good luck

ps your h/d will be recognised ok. dont worry

Hard drives won't be affected. However, you will need to take the chipset into account since Intel uses a different one to AMD. For an AMD Athlon XP, you will need a socket A motherboard. Btw, you should keep your Intel P3 500Mhz CPU and motherboard since you might want to build a second PC around it. It was what I did with my AMD K6-2 500Mhz which I gave to my brother and I now have my own AMD Duron 1.3Ghz. Check out click here for cheap prices.

Rayuk 18:24 05 Jun 03

Am I right in thinking you want to instal new motherboard memory and cpu then boot up into os you have installed on your hard drive,if so there may be a problem.If you are lucky you may be able to boot up and uninstal drivers already on and instal new ones so you can recover your data.

If you are going to format and reinstal os everything will be ok,it is the best way.

Or are you trying to save data on your drives.Your slave drive will be ok,and you will be able to transfer everything off it.

khaiiia 18:34 05 Jun 03

yes i want t install new motherboard, new memory, new CPU.

And yes i want to boot up into the os already installed in the master hard drive and also recover existing data. Not going to format harddrive because i have 30gigs of data.

khaiiia 18:42 05 Jun 03

do you install the motherboard drivers while the system is booting or after it has booted?

What happens if it doesn't boot?(paperman27 or any one else outthere.....please)

Rayuk 19:04 05 Jun 03

You instal chipset drivers after you have booted into os[after uninstalling previous motherboard drivers]Also dont forget any onboard function drivers[ie sound/modem/graphics etc]

You could set it up and see if it works that way

or

If you can instal your os drive into another pc as slave drive you can delete all the intel boards drivers that way,then put in your new setup and instal drivers on boot up.

Afraid thats all I can suggest,maybe someone will come along with a definate answer for you.

keith-236785 09:19 06 Jun 03

After your pc has booted into windows, (If it hasnt already asked you for the cd that came with the motherboard)put the cd in the drive and wait for it to autorun, as i dont know whether you are buying a m/b with on board graphics/sound/modem/lan i will have to guess, if these are indeed on board then the cd will have been asked for already.

if you have no onboard peripherals then you will only need the cd for things like ide controller,floppy controller, usb, that sort of thing.

just bung in the cd before you start the computer

if you havent replaced a motherboard b4 then please take care that the stands on the case correspond to the holes in the motherboard and there are none left underneath to short anything out (from experience DOH)

good luck,

post back if you need more help

khaiiia 13:20 06 Jun 03

i looked at an AMD motherboard with a VIA chipset to buy but my existing motherbard has an Intel chipset. would this effect the other hardware including the hard drives?

pj123 15:15 06 Jun 03

the only problem you will have is your existing disk and O/S will keep finding new hardware when you boot. If you keep cancelling everything until you get to your desktop and then put the new motherboard disk in it will change all the settings and set you up. You will find many reboots but just keep going.

pj123 15:17 06 Jun 03

PS. Take a look at this site, they will advise you. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…