What Is Printer EEPROM?

busybaz 23:48 03 Apr 06

Epson Stylus Color 580 printer on Windows 2000. Used SSC Service Utility to reset the protection counter of the printer when it ceased working with "an error has occurred - unplug your printer and contact your dealer or authorized service center" message.

Now printer DOES go through printing action but nothing appears on paper (I have done all cartridge checks & even replacements). Internet search would indicate EEPROM data may now be corrupt and need refreshing. Can anyone tell me what is the EEPROM, where is it and how on earth do I correct it's data?

Regards
Flustered Printer Guy

Stuartli 23:59 03 Apr 06
  busybaz 00:54 04 Apr 06

Thanks for the response, Stuart, but this link is where I originally got the details for the reset utility.

I think its a Printer Service Program I need & details of how to check/correct full EEPROM data.

terryf 01:44 04 Apr 06

have you tried an email to epson support?

Gandalph 02:00 04 Apr 06

EEPROM stands for Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory.

busybaz 09:58 04 Apr 06

Email went winging it's way to epson support before I posted this subject, but I don't hold out much hope of them passing up service/repair/new sales revenue!

Thanks for clarifying the acronym. If it is electronically erasable, then I understand it is electronically writeable. Hence I now need to know where it is (on the printer mainboard maybe?) and how to check/correct the contents.

oldal 11:14 04 Apr 06

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with SSC, can't remember details but my 830U stopped printing. This was cured by uninstalling the printer and all Epson software and re-installing from scratch. I haven't used SSC since then !!!

Stuartli 11:25 04 Apr 06
  busybaz 12:13 06 Apr 06

Done all the uninstalling & reinstalling a person can handle. Managed to obtain a printer service program [W98 so had to set up on an old machine] & service manual. reset EEPROM to factory defaults but still no print on paper.

Got reply from epson - "clean print heads, exchange cartridges, take to express service centre if this doesn't work". Could have bet money on that reply.

Must be something physical broken? Any ideas before I'm condemned to taking to repair shop or taking a sledge hammer to it?

busybaz 11:42 20 Sep 06

Should have closed long ago - ended up buying new printer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…