What is a Power-User?

Sirpad 09:15 02 Nov 05

I have recently installed 'The Sims Deluxe Edition' for the kids but when they tried to play it under their userid it wouldn't work.

Turns out (as per manual) it will only work for Administrators or Power-Users.

I don't want to make one of the kids an administrator and I don't know what they mean by Power User?

Any ideas on how I can get around this?

DieSse 11:54 02 Nov 05

Did you install it under the kids user ID?

A Power-User is normally supposed to be someone who knows how to use a PC very well, and typically twaeks their PC a lot! How that relates to running Sims I cannot begin to imagine.

In any case there are only two types of user account in XP - Admin and User.

Sirpad 12:49 02 Nov 05

Thanks DieSse. I couldn't install it under normal userid so did so under my admin ID but assumed every user could use it. Not the case.

As you say, there are only 2 types of user, Admin and User. Being a kid's game one would imagine that any user could use it.

I'll contact EA games unless someone else can shed some light on this.

Jackcoms 13:01 02 Nov 05

There's no more light to be shed. DieSse has already explained it.

If the kids are trying to use it from their non-Administrator log-ins the game will not run as noted in the manual - Administrators or Power Users NOT limited XP accounts.

woodbexhill 16:28 08 Nov 05

'Power User' can be rather manually applied to a user account in Windows XP, much like Administrator or a normal user can. It's just not as easily done. Though, to be honest, I think it would just about give your kids just as much power as if they were an administrator.

wee eddie 17:01 08 Nov 05

If what woodbexhill and the rest of you are suggesting is correct.

The Sims is recommending that the only way a teenager can play the Game is to give that teenager the means to outflank Parental Control.

I think we have missed something here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…