What Power Supply Unit???

Ken Ju-On 17:36 23 Jul 03

I have a desktop computer from Evesham with a 230V PSU. I'm going to take it abroad where the voltage supply used is 110V.

I checked out my PSU and there's no switch to set the input voltage to 110V. Therefore, I need to find a replacement PSU and install it.

I know virtually nothing about PSUs - could anyone give me advice on what type of PSU to buy and where I can get it?

I've heard that my computer casing must be ATX to be able to use certain PSUs - can someone explain more about that please?

Any other tips on PSU choices and installation would be most warmly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

DieSse 18:24 23 Jul 03

Since you're going to have to take the PSU out to change it anyway - take it out now, take it into a reputable local computer shop, and ask for one the same, but with a voltage change switch.

Just check that the Wattage figure (probably 300W or thereabouts), printed on the label on the PSU, is at leats the same or a bit higher than the existing unit. Spaek to them nicely and they might even fit the new one and test, in exchange for the old one.

Ken Ju-On 18:46 23 Jul 03

Thanks for your advice.

Is it possible to use ATX PSUs in non-ATX cases? (I don't know what a "non-ATX" casing is called!)

Don't forget the monitor, it'll probably need to have a switchable mains voltage input as well.

Ken Ju-On 19:49 23 Jul 03

Thanks for your kind advice, Fizzi. I need not worry about the monitor since it's designed to work on both voltages.

Only my PC is the trouble - I guess since it's from Evesham, a British manufacturer, they designed it purely for use in England.

Philip2 20:07 23 Jul 03

I upgraded my Evesham computer PSU to 300W no problem and it has a voltage selector one of the cheaper upgrades but Evesham will no longer service your computer if you do the same.

DieSse 22:58 23 Jul 03

"Is it possible to use ATX PSUs in non-ATX cases"

No it isn't - the power connectors to the motherboard, and the means by which the PSU is switched on, are entirely different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…