What is a plotter?

Neil-321636 10:22 08 Sep 03

I've been asked by my 12 year daughter for her homework project, what is a plotter and how does it work. I presume it is some sort of printer! Can anybody help please?

Jester2K II 10:25 08 Sep 03

A Plotter Printer is usually used for drawing plans or graphs.

It uses "pens" instead of Ink Jets to print and can be used to print on huge pieces of paper.

Bit like an Etch-A-Sketch

click here

VoG II 10:25 08 Sep 03

Start click here

Neil-321636 10:31 08 Sep 03

Nice one guys. I did search the web but could only find sites that sold them not that explained what and how they worked.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Belatucadrus 12:14 08 Sep 03

Mainly used for CAD work and/or building plans

Tweaks 12:50 08 Sep 03

im in the engineering industry (designer) and we use plotters for all out building plans. they mostly use ink cartridges nowdays (not pens) so that you can get real colour buy combining the primary colours. pens would restrict u to the 3 colours only.
they have a large roll of paper that spools out as u print and then the plotter cuts to the correct size as needed.

-pops- 12:56 08 Sep 03

Plotters, plotter pens and refills are relatively very expensive and I doubt if they will take over from other printing systems although they are excellent at the job they are designed to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…