What is a PCI Modem Enumerator ?

dangermouse 17:35 17 Mar 03

In device manager I have an entry called HSFMODEM which shows 'PCI Modem Enumerator' when expanded.

This is in addition to the entry under Modem.

So what is it, and why is it sharing IRQ 11 with my graphics card ?

DieSse 18:20 17 Mar 03

It's simply part of the software/driver required to make a "soft" modem work. It's sharing IRQ11 because PCs simply don't have enough IRQs for all devices to have their own exclusive one - so there is a sheme for sharing them.

It's perfectly normal, and not to be worried about unless either device is not working correctly. Modern PCs, with modern PCI cards seldom give problems - older ones may tho'.

DieSse 18:21 17 Mar 03

A scheme even !

Forum Editor 18:27 17 Mar 03

much beloved of Compaq laptop owners, and people with Conexant modems.

PCI modems are provided with a driver or 'enumerator' that provides the bridge between the newer PCI bus and the traditional COM port assignments. The driver allows the system to recognize the modem as a traditional COM port with non-standard IRQ assignment.

Take a look at this

click here

dangermouse 18:36 17 Mar 03

It's not giving any problems, I was just curious.

'There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots'

;)

cream. 18:38 17 Mar 03

Yes!!!!!!!! lol

Stuartli 18:42 17 Mar 03

Perfectly reasonable question.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…