what pc should i buy?

smcg69 14:03 30 Jul 05

I am interested in buying a new pc but i don't have a clue what to buy. Its primary purpose will be for gaming but i will also want to use it to play and burn cds and dvds and i will use it for school work. I have about 1200 euro to spend. Is that enough to get a decent gaming pc? if so what would you suggest i buy?

LastChip 15:02 30 Jul 05

You should be able to get a well specified computer for that amount of money. To give you some idea, a basic computer (Internet ready) should be available for around 500 Euro.

Look for a machine that has a minimum of a 2Gig processor (though it will likely be higher than that), 512MB of memory and at least an 80 Gig hard drive (120 Gig preferable). The graphics card should be separate and have at least 128MB of on board memory. A DVD/CD burner should be part of the specification. The machine should be multi-media and Internet ready for that price and almost certainly include Windows XP Home.

Often, you will find good deals at your local PC store and have the very real option of local backup, should you need it. Something that many major manufacturers are falling short of today.

harps1h 19:37 30 Jul 05

try here. they have a reputable company.
click here

Diodorus Siculus 19:39 30 Jul 05

Try dell - they have an outlet in many EU countries. If you want to say where you are, someone may be able to point you to an option for that country.

Diodorus Siculus 19:40 30 Jul 05

click here for some dell.ie examples in €s

Sapins 22:08 30 Jul 05

If you live in France these sites will help.

click here I have used them, very good products and quick delivery.

click here you can click on a map to visit their sites in most European countries, inc. UK. Used them also, very good

click here if you intend to self-build. English version available.

click here deliver to France, maybe other European countries? Excellent products and delivery.

As Diodorus Siculus has said, Dell are very good, even if you live outside the UK you can speak to someone in English and specify an English system with software in English, hope I'm not offending you if you speak and want to order in another language!

Get the fastest processor,the best Graphics card and as much memory as you can afford, you can easily add another hard drive later on. If you fancy building your own system post back and I can give you some sites and tips.

For compatible Ink Cartridges click here have the cheapest at the moment, worth a browse round their site, they deliver to France so I would imagine they will to other countries.

I would strongly recommend Epson for a printer, I have just bought an Epson Stylus PHOTO RX620 all in one, very pleased with it. I have used no other make and I have had no problems, excellent UK support line. Tel. 01442 261144 which I use from France.

smcg69 00:17 31 Jul 05

i think i might like to build my own system or even configure one myself. i was looking at aries systems because they seem to be good and relatively cheap. what do you think? i am not sure whether to go for an amd athlon or a pentium 4 processor though.

Sapins 09:52 31 Jul 05

If you decide to build your own system, It's very rewarding and easy to do.

Let people know what you decide and they will give you all the help you could wish for. It will help if we know where you live so we can recommend firms to look at.

Self build click here click here

Sapins 09:54 31 Jul 05

Sorry, first link should be click here

smcg69 10:35 31 Jul 05

im going to build my own. it seems the best way to go. i live in ireland by the way.

Sapins 10:44 31 Jul 05

Good luck, you will enjoy building it. Don't forget to ask if you get stuck.

Regards,

Sapins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…