WHAT PC SHOULD I BUY?

HANAH 12:41 14 Apr 05

Okay...., went pretty off topic on the 'what is a sound card' stuff so here we can base the whole 'which computer should I buy' bit.

So, people please post your responses here!

Yoda Knight 12:51 14 Apr 05

I'm an AMD fan, but I would honestly suggest taking a look at what Dell click here has to offer - especialy if your a first time buyer.

Joe R 12:55 14 Apr 05

HANAH,

It all depends what you want to use it for.

If you want to play a lot of the latest games, the the cpu, memory and graphics card dictate the price you have to pay.

If you only want it for. word processing, surfing the net and basic stuff, there are a few sub £500 machines that you could buy.

Technotiger 13:12 14 Apr 05

Hi, I would go with the DELL recommendation - I ordered a complete DELL setup for a friend recently on-line. It arrived the following day!!
and was totally complete with all software (XP etc) installed and all software original and full cd's in sealed envelopes. It was a synch to set-up for him (he is 84yrs young).

Cheers.

HANAH 13:22 14 Apr 05

Well, it's the second PC I'm gonna buy. First one was from Time Computers (strongly recommend you don't go there!).

Budget is of roughly £700. I want a good, futureproof machine which I'll be using for usually basic stuff as well as for photoediting and for editing wav files.

HANAH 13:23 14 Apr 05

Oh, which is better Intel P4 or AMD?

Technotiger 13:26 14 Apr 05

Intel/AMD, really just personal preference, one is as good as the other.

Cheers.

garrema 13:35 14 Apr 05

from PCAdvisor magazine - available at all good newsagents.
(commission accepted later FE)
Probably get quite a lot for 700£ but beware of bundle machines at a price point where a key item is underspec for example you may want a better screen and more ram.
AMD vs intel is moot point really & onboard sound is probably fine.

garrema 13:36 14 Apr 05

from PCAdvisor magazine - available at all good newsagents.
(commission accepted later FE)
Probably get quite a lot for 700£ but beware of bundle machines at a price point where a key item is underspec for example you may want a better screen and more ram.
AMD vs intel is moot point really & onboard sound is probably fine.

Indigo 1 15:38 14 Apr 05

I would recommend looking at machines with 64 bit processors if you want futureproof (don't worry too much about speed 3Ghz would be plenty).

Also it should have the capacity for PCI-Express even if it only comes with AGP graphics (which should be 128Mb).

In a previous thread you mentioned you require it for Digital Picture Editing and editing wav files so I would suggest a separate soundcard too (24 bit) and make sure you have money enough for a decent set of speakers (THX spec recommended) click here.

The other things to consider are Hard Drive(s) 200 Gigabyte would be more than plenty but make sure the speed is as fast as possible and it should have a good size on board buffer (8Mb).

Don't worry too much about what these numbers mean at the moment but they should give you something to aim for.

Indigo 1 15:44 14 Apr 05

Forgot to mention RAM (memory) at least 256Mb MINIMUM, I would recommend starting with 512Mb (size) of PC3200 (speed).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…