What pc for photos

Coggsey 13:42 08 May 06

Hi,
I am looking to buy a new desktop PC for email and internet searches at home. However, I am interested in digital photography. I am a beginner in this area but wish to take it seriously. What specifications should I be looking for in terms of CPU, memory, hard drive, graphics card, software, etc, etc? Plus any information that I should also consider. Many thanks if anyone can help.

Kind regards,
Steve

Jaro 13:47 08 May 06

READ THIS IT MAY HELP YOU click here

hssutton 14:51 08 May 06

I would suggest that the "click here" above is totally out of date.

You do not say which type of photo editing software you intend using or whether you will be doing serious image editing.

Looking at the Dell site suggests that any of their current offerings will suffice, prices start at £349.
As an alternative have a look at this one click here
80Gb hard disk should be the minimum, but a second H/D or preferably external H/D is preferable if you intend to store a lot of photos

Totally-braindead 15:02 08 May 06

Agree with hssutton virtually any PC will do what you want, the bigger the hard drive the better, you don't need a good graphics card for just photos onboard graphics will do but if there is any possability at all that you may do video editing or play games I strongly suggest you get a PC with a PCI Express slot or at least an AGP slot so that, if needed you can upgrade it by putting in a graphics card. Theres been a few people caught out when they or their kids wanted to use some software, usually a game and found there was no way to upgrade as there was no graphics card slot. Suggest 512mb RAM and get an external drive as has been suggested for backing up your photos.

Confab 15:02 08 May 06

Has that article been re-written? A PIV system with 128MB ram? That doesn't seem right to me.

Confab

Confab 15:03 08 May 06

I would say if its running XP then a least 1Gig would be best.

Totally-braindead 15:22 08 May 06

Confab it depends on how much he wishes to spend and he has given us no idea, just a brief outline of what he wants to do with it. Agree more memory is better but I ran on 512mb for long enough and it was fine. Ne can always add more later if he wishes.

Skills 15:40 08 May 06

As above any recent PC will do what you require, I too would suggest getting at least a gig of RAM but you can always add more in at a later date Im using 512.

A decent monitor as well would be a good idea, as far as software goes theres many freeware apps out there although if you were looking to purchase something I would point you in the direction of either paint shop pro or photoshop elements both of which come in at under a hundred.

What sort of budget do you have?

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:09 08 May 06

512 RAM is more than enough for photo-editing. We are talking stills here NOT video. Any of the Dells would be great and you do not need a flashy graphics card for photos but you do need a good screen. I would suggest one of the cheaper Dells but with a 19" TFT screen with a higher resolution if possible. You will thank me profusely when you have been looking at the screen for 2 hours whilst trying to sort a photo out.

I've used most of the expensive photo-editors but for a lot of work I use Photodeluxe 2.0 which is a freebie and is superb but if you want an editor that is up to Paintshop standards and is free, go this way>>>>>>>> click here.

G

G

Coggsey 16:49 08 May 06

Thanks all. That was my first visit and very helpful it was. My budget is about £600. I think I will invest in a decent monitor as suggested and perhaps a printer. Will the speed of the processor make any difference for photo use?

anchor 17:06 08 May 06

"Will the speed of the processor make any difference for photo use?". In my opinion NO; you would not notice any difference. Neither will having some super graphic card. 512Mb of RAM will suffice, but 1Gb would be a help; you can always add more later.

GANDALF is correct about the monitor. I do a lot of photo editing and suggest getting the best 19" TFT screen you can afford; that is where you will notice a difference.

As regards the graphic programme; my own personal favourite is Paint Shop Pro, although the new Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 has received an excellent review.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017