What is "P2P Networking"?

yon-mon 11:37 22 Mar 05

My grandchildrens computer appears to have many problems that I am trying to fix. I don't know if "P2P Networking (Jolid Ltd.)" is a program that should be on their computeror or if I should remove it. Will someone please let me know what it is for? Thank you.

Belatucadrus 11:48 22 Mar 05

P2P is an abbreviation of Peer to Peer, it's used for exchanging files over the Internet, itself not illegal. But almost invariably used to swap pirated music downloads, this is illegal and the music industry has started to pursue people through the courts. Personally I'd get rid of it, but there will probably be tears if you do.

FelixTCat 11:50 22 Mar 05

I believe that this is a program that allows file sharing across the internet. Whilst these programs do have legal uses, they are often used for the illegal sharing of copyright material such as music, movies etc.

Using them is a likely way of allowing trojans, virii and all sorts of nasties onto the computer.

dogbreath1 13:37 22 Mar 05

Problems with p2p applications can arrive as bundled spyware with the initial download or subsequently when files are swapped. The latter problem can be overcome by having the correct security regime. And bundled spyware can be purged. However, as a matter of principle, I would remove this particular application which has been widely reported to be a purveyor of nasties notwithstanding claims by the producers to the contrary. click here
click here
click here
I do not condone the downloading/uploading of copyright material but then neither do I condone the condemnation of p2p filesharing per se. This particular piece of kit has been produced by the original developers of Kazaa, so it seems that old habits die hard.

medicine hat 13:57 22 Mar 05

I was clearing off an acquaintance's pc the other week and also came across P2P Networking. Strangely Adaware would crash when I tried to use it. Only after stopping P2P Networking in the Task Manager would Adaware complete. That system was riddled with viruses - AVG found about 40. NAV was on there - 18 months out of date. All symptomatic of a poor attitude to security, I s'pose

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…