What or where is a computer's identity?

john bunyan 13:12 PM 17 Mar 13
Answered

My grand daughter's Toshiba L655 - 17U laptop is one of four PC's authorised on our iTunes account. The hinges etc including base and lid are broken and I have bought a similar, second hand, machine with a lower spec re processor and RAM. I will clone her HD as a precaution, and my local repair man will transfer her motherboard , processor ( a 5i)and her HD and RAM to the other machine so we will end up with some spares such as a screen, HD motherboard etc. My question is - will iTunes recognise the computer as the original - does the "soul" (including MS activation)reside in the motherboard etc?

rdave13 13:32 PM 17 Mar 13
Answer

As you're transferring the motherboard I can't see a problem other than possibly having to activate by phone . OEMs are tied to the motherboards. This link might help.

mgmcc 14:23 PM 17 Mar 13

As the Laptop is broken, it won't be able to access iTunes to "De-authorise this computer".

However, by going into your iTunes account with another of your four authorised computers, you can "Deauthorise All" and then authorise the ones you want again, including the replacement Laptop. It doesn't need to be seen as an exact replica of the original.

rdave13 14:36 PM 17 Mar 13

Don't use iTunes but all that's being done is replacing the laptop's 'casing', in effect it's the same machine.

BRYNIT 14:45 PM 17 Mar 13

If the Mother board, hard drive, RAM and OS have not been changed and you have not reinstalled windows you should have no problems logging onto iTunes.

john bunyan 16:55 PM 17 Mar 13

Thanks, all. In effect it is indeed the casing being replaced so all should be well. I will try to transfer the serial no sticker.

john bunyan 16:58 PM 17 Mar 13

Posted 1 minute ago

Thanks, all. In effect it is indeed the casing being replaced so all should be well. I will try to transfer the serial no sticker.

This may be a double post in error

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…