What is oem software and why difference is prices?

simongy 18:58 18 Aug 03

When reading mags I am confused by the terms OEM, Upgrade, Jewel case software, is it legal for Joe public to buy oem s/ware and install it on his pc?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:03 18 Aug 03

To save hammering the keyboard.....click here

G

woodchip 19:10 18 Aug 03

If you bought OEM office suit you would get all the bit's that matter but not clipart and templets etc. It is like a bare bones software

Wilham 19:16 18 Aug 03

Original Equipment Manufacturer (or Maker) applies to goods supplied direct for putting into new equipment. Some finds its way into retail at discount. Goods marked Retail usually have finer packing, better documents, clearer warranty info, etc.
Sony, and perhaps others, refuse to condone OEM, and you may find bother with some on-line support for OEM serial nos. Generally OEM can be a good buy from a reputable supplier.

AMD 4 ever 19:17 18 Aug 03

Wilham...Sony do offer OEM equipment! It would be faulse economy not too!

Such as DVD Drives OEM

phoenix198 19:34 18 Aug 03

One big difference with Microsoft OEM products (and, I believe most other software manufacturers): your warranty or guarantee is with the OEM vendor, not Microsoft. In other words, if you buy an OEM edition of Windows XP from (say) eBuyer or Overclockers.co.uk and the disc is faulty, Microsoft WILL NOT exchange the disc for a good one. You have to go back to the vendor for a replacement. MS also don't provide software support for an OEM product, that's down to the OEM vendor too.

The rationale behind this is that when you purchase retail pack software you pay an extra (large!) sum of money for the after-sales service. OEM software doesn't carry the price premium, therefore you don't get the support!

So, as with most things in life, you pays your money and you makes your choice; £145 for a retail copy of Windows XP Home Edition with full MS after-sales service or £70 for an OEM edition with accompanying support 'risk'.

Rayuk 19:42 18 Aug 03

£70 for MS support £0 for forum help.
Know which Id choose everytime.

Djohn 19:44 18 Aug 03

If you purchase the retail version of Microsoft products', you only get (2) free help sessions by telephone, all others have to be paid for. Price quoted to me was £185.00 per help session! j.

Wilham 20:05 18 Aug 03

AMD 4 ever. Are you sure Sony OEM is not spin? I don't think you can buy a Sony DVD writer model DRU-510A as OEM, nor a DW-U10A as Retail. I guess it's market manipulation. The models are not identical.

The Sack 20:27 18 Aug 03

Sony use different model numbers for the OEM DVD burners but the internals are identical.

FWIW if you buy an OEM product the warranty still lays with the manufacturer

Stuartli 20:36 18 Aug 03

This is yet another old chestnut question in these forums.

Many of the big online retailers such as dabs,
Scan etc supply many components and hardware such as CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives, soundcards, some graphics cards etc in OEM form.

The main benefit is that, berift of fancy packaging and, for example, games software for graphics cards, a considerable financial saving can be made.

Any drivers etc that are required (and Windows drivers are all that are needed for CD/DVD-ROM drivers and rewriters) can be downloaded from the manufacturers' websites; there is also the advantage that they will be the latest drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…