What next after virus attack?

Rob6 11:39 17 Jul 10

Having left my PC unattended all evening I got back to see a AVG virus scanner alert saying there had been two attacks on my PC. (the first time this has ever happened) I clicked the quarantine options on both reported attacks and shut the PC down.

Now on restarting I get a black screen saying there is a problem and giving me the option of starting in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Network, Safe Mode with Command Prompt and Last Known Good Configuration. On choosing any of the safe mode options I get circ 30 lines of the following scrolling :

muti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ {various filesnames c. 30 off}

And then windows tries to start up (I have the option of pressing F11 to reboot and DEL to enter set up)

On choosing Last Known Good Configuration windows also tries to start up and then ends up on the black you have a problem screen.

I'm guessing I need to reformat the hard drive and rebuild …but I do not have the knowledge of how to go about it. Any advice would be appreciated.

As an aside I'm surprised that when doing a search on this forum I did not find multiple cases of something similar happening to other people - have I been really unlucky?

woodchip 11:42 17 Jul 10

If you do not have any files you need to save as Photos Docs mail etc. then why not just use the Restore function you got with the PC?

Halmer 11:43 17 Jul 10

or a recovery partition on the PC?

woodchip 11:46 17 Jul 10

PS when you get it back up and running as it should, You need to invest in Acronis True Image and create a Image of you Drive or OS Partition so you can overcome these problems easy, if you have problems. To use the above you need a External USB drive or another Drive inside the computer

Rob6 12:03 17 Jul 10

Good news..I have a copy of all my files
Bad news ..I'm PC skill free zone. Can you point me to some step by step instructions?

woodchip 12:08 17 Jul 10

Did you get any CD's with the PC What Operating System is it XP Vista or 7 ??????? You should also have got a book etc to help with problems like these, on how to restore to factory settings. You must not Format your drive as you may be in more problems than now

woodchip 12:08 17 Jul 10

PS look for a CD that as on it Restore

Rob6 12:21 17 Jul 10

Ive put in the XP disc. Same cycle as before happened. Pressed F11 and choose boot from CD ...and same cycle of screens happened.

Rob6 10:33 18 Jul 10

Any have any other advice?

onthelimit 11:41 18 Jul 10

It doesn't sound as though it's booting from the CD, as I wouldn't have thought you would see the same problem. Try starting with the CD in the drive (assuming the boot order is set to look at that first) and see what happens. Come back if it doesn't start the drive as that may mean the boot order has to be changed (not difficult).

Rob6 12:07 18 Jul 10

Firing up with the CD in the drive does not work. Am I right to assume I need to go into the bios set up? if so I'm not sure where to go from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017