What is needed to wireless network

Murghalador 16:44 15 Nov 06

Hello

I have a Sony Vaio desktop running XP and a Sony Vaio laptop running XP. The laptop has wireless capability.

I use a Vodafone 3G dial up to connect to the Internet (I live in Portugal, no landline). I want to set up a wireless network to link the laptop to the desktop so we can access the net using both computers at the same time and also enabling file transfers and printing remotely from the laptop.

Can you please advise what is required and how to do it? I have a bluetooth adapter for the desktop - is this any use for networking?

Thanks

Forum Editor 18:32 15 Nov 06

is that using the internet on two machines at the same time via a mobile phone is going to be painfully slow; the available bandwidth won't cope in either direction - upstream or downstream.

You say "I live in Portugal, no landline", but I wonder why - I know several people who live there, and they have no problems with landline access.

mgmcc 23:17 15 Nov 06

If you must share the 3G connection, install a Wireless Network Adapter in the PC (a Bluetooth adapter isn't suitable) and create an “Ad Hoc” Wireless Network. This is a network in which the two PCs talk directly with one another, rather than via a Wireless Access Point. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (this will be your 3G connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the network adapter used for your "Home Network Connection" with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you have more than one adapter available for this purpose, e.g. both a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", you will have a drop down list from which to select the appropriate adapter. The "Client" PC's Wireless Network Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your "Host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "ICS" traffic will be blocked.

Murghalador 10:33 16 Nov 06

Thanks to both of you.
I cannot have a landline because I live on a development where there are no availability for landlines in the near future. My connection speed is shwon as 384kbs, I use ONSPEED software to enhance the performance of Vodafone.
I bought a wireless network adapter and fitted it to the desktop but could not configure the network. I got a message from the wizard saying that the adapter was not supported by Microsoft. Any thoughts on which brand adapter I should buy?
I also want to be able to transfer files between the PC's and to print off both PC's. Will the adapter and the network allow this?

mgmcc 13:37 16 Nov 06

<<< I got a message from the wizard saying that the adapter was not supported by Microsoft. Any thoughts on which brand adapter I should buy? >>>

I have never come across that before. What brand of Wireless Network Adapter did you install? Generally, they all use the same 802.11g wireless networking protocol and the only requirement is that the adapter's drivers are installed.

<<< I also want to be able to transfer files between the PC's and to print off both PC's. Will the adapter and the network allow this? >>>

Yes, once the network is functioning, you can set up File & Printer Sharing.

Murghalador 14:54 16 Nov 06

Sorry but I am getting old and can't remember the make. It was quite cheap at 29 euro's. I followed the installation instructions but couldn't get it to work.

Do I need to buy an adapter for each PC?
Should I go for a good brand like Belkin?

Thanks again for your help

mgmcc 19:44 16 Nov 06

If the laptop is already "wireless enabled" then you don't need any additional hardware for it, you only need to install a Wireless Network Adapter in the desktop PC.

A Belkin adapter is certainly known to work so, if you do need to replace the existing one, you shouldn't have any problems with Belkin.

Murghalador 13:40 17 Nov 06

I have been to my local computer shop and their advice is confusing!
They say that I need a wireless router as well as the netwrok adapter.Is this true?

When I originally tried to set all this up myself I bought a combined wireless router/PCMIa card adapter and used the vodafome card in the router instead of in the desktop. The system never worked so I returned it to the shop. I guess the reason was because I did not fit a network adapter to the desktop as well!!

Final question on this subject. Would you advise using a wireless router/PCMIa card and network adapter or just the network adapter for the desktop.

Many thanks agin for your time.

mgmcc 14:32 17 Nov 06

My advice would be to forget routers and stick with an "Ad Hoc" wireless network, in which the two computers communicate directly, and set up Internet Connection Sharing.

Murghalador 13:01 24 Nov 06

Yes, it's your worst nightmare- Im back!!
Seriously, I need your help.
I have installed a D-Link DWL-G132 network adapter to my desktop Vaio. I folloed the installation procedure and the 'linl' light is working on the adapter. looking in 'my network connections'there is a wireless network connection 4 but it is not connected and when I search for available networks the system cannot find any.
What have I done wrong or what extra do I need to do?
I have used the wizard to set up a home network amd have named it 'home network' but can't find it.

many thanks

mgmcc 13:43 24 Nov 06

If you are running an "Ad Hoc" wireless network, ensure that you have configured both Wireless Adapters to operate in "Ad Hoc" mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…