What is my webcam?

iamalipaul 16:52 14 Apr 04

I've been given a webcam by friend, but it is without drivers or software,
it also is devoid of any brand markings so I have no idea what it is.
Its roughly 4/5 years old, USB, was probable supplied with a time machine,
and has a zoom adjust on the lens and a viewfinder? I assume it doubles as a stills camera.

My daughter would like to use it on MSN
but using the install hardware wizard in XP there is no joy.
Does anyone know of any tricks in XP to at least identify what hardware I have
so I can search the net for drivers?

Thanks in anticipation

©®@$? 17:33 14 Apr 04

the only thing you can do, is look for some markings on the camera itself, could be a set of numbers..

then post back with any detail you find on the camera..

Totally-braindead 17:38 14 Apr 04

Just a thought but have you tried plugging it in? Win XP might well recognise it for you and install the drivers itself. Give it a go you've nothing to lose.

Stuartli 17:42 14 Apr 04

Also Windows System Information (Programs>Accessories>System Tools), Aida32 or Belarc will list the particular model and manufacturer.

Totally-braindead

It has been tried with XP according to the thread.

Stuartli 17:53 14 Apr 04

This link may assist:

click here

But if I remember rightly, when my son swapped his D-Link NetEasy 350 Pro webcam for my Creative VideoBlaster Plus model a while back, the former worked with the Creative's driver and software until I downloaded the D-Link equivalent.

It's still working with XP.

©®@$? 18:03 14 Apr 04

programs like aida and belarc will not be able to give any details of the camera, as they rely on the software/drivers to identify the particular hardware, as there are no drivers installed...only way like i said is to physically identify the camera via model numbers/fcc id on the camera itself

or if your lucky..

your friend may still have the drivers for the camera installed on his/her computer, and the above advice should work, with a program like aida it will be able to identify the camera then..you mentioned it maybe part of time computer package, by any chance has your freind still got the recovery cd that came with the computer, the driver maybe on there

Totally-braindead 18:29 14 Apr 04

Sorry Stuartli missread that bit.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 19:19 14 Apr 04

If its a grey one with a flat bottom stand and a green button on top along with the zoom ,i had 1 and couldnt get it to work with xp i think i still have a install cd somewhere a blue one i think it is.Dont know what happened to camera tho.Will have a look for the cd see if i can find it.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 19:33 14 Apr 04

Looked and have got restall cds system and driver cds even gcse test cds from time but no camera driver only thin i can suggest is try
click here

and select cameras in the dropdown menu no idea if the driver will be there tho,sorry.

Regards.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 19:34 14 Apr 04

May be the time usb viewcam one but not sure and im not sure if it will work on xp.

Regards.

iamalipaul 00:34 15 Apr 04

thanks A NICKNAME

followed your link and looking at the manual it seems to be viewcam supplied by time.

downloaded the drivers and tried to install before reading the instructions, strangly for a usb it needs to be unplugged before the software is loaded? now setup reports an error and tells me to unplug the camera, stupid piece of code- cant it see that I have wrenched out the lead and coiled the cable up?? tried restarting a few times but still no joy. Must be something that tells setup it still there, but it is too late and iam tired now to go searching. try again tommorow.

thanks for the reponses guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…