What is my firewall blocking??

southpaw 20:42 25 Apr 05

Hi

I'm new to Broadband and have just downloaded Sygate Firewall.

The only thing is I'm not sure what some of the programs are that it is blocking?

I allow programs such as Outlook when I download my emails but what are things such as NTOSKRNL.EXE and SVCHOST.EXE???

Is there anyway I can check what things are?

Thanks in advance.

VoG II 20:52 25 Apr 05

Go to click here

click here - should not be trying to connect

click here - could be lots of things.

I think an online scan is in order click here

southpaw 22:08 25 Apr 05

Thanks VoG™

I did a scan and found nothing.

I have AVG Antivirus, Spybot and Adaware so was hoping Housecall would find nothing.

Pooke100 22:13 25 Apr 05

are "NTOSKRNL.EXE and SVCHOST.EXE" trying to dial out out, or is it inbound??

southpaw 22:19 25 Apr 05

Incoming.

Pooke100 22:24 25 Apr 05

It's nothing to worry about you can turn off the alerts or beeps by going to "tools" then "options" if you wish.

All that is, is something on the outside trying to get in, the firewall is doing what it's meant to do.

I use sygate firewall aswell , it's very good!

rods 00:29 26 Apr 05

type the exact wording i.e 'NTOSKRNL.EXE' in google, this will then tell you exactly what it is as its more then likely to be a processor but you can never be to sure.

I have just typed it in google and it says it is an essential boot up process to your system...so dont block it!!!

I always use this process to check my processor list, if something unrecognisable appears i always type in just to make sure it aint a virus etc.

PS just type the word your looking up nothing else.

Good luck

Pooke100 00:39 26 Apr 05

"type the exact wording i.e 'NTOSKRNL.EXE' in google, this will then tell you exactly what it is as its more then likely to be a processor but you can never be to sure.
I have just typed it in google and it says it is an essential boot up process to your system...so dont block it!!!"

what on earth?

The traffic is INCOMING, the firewall is working as it should!

rods 20:06 26 Apr 05

Pooke100

"what on earth?

The traffic is INCOMING, the firewall is working as it should!"

I was responding to Southpaw's post - "what are things such as NTOSKRNL.EXE and SVCHOST.EXE???

Is there anyway I can check what things are?

Thanks in advance"

He wanted to know what his firewall was blocking, my reply - type the wording he is receiving on GOOGLE and this will tell him what the file name means wether its an intrusion/virus or processor.

NTOSKRNL.EXE - is a processor
SVCHOST.EXE - is a processor.

If he had blocked them he may have had problems so im simply saying check before he blocks!

I cant see what your issue is

VoG II 20:07 26 Apr 05

INcoming - not an essential process running on his PC.

Jak_1 20:32 26 Apr 05

If firewall is blocking incoming traffic then it is indeed doing it's job correctly. Stopping any incoming traffic will not prevent the pc working properly. By letting in sometning not wanted just might.

Try doing a search at click here virus vault for SVCHOST.EXE.

for the other try a google search.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…