What is MP3?

v1asco 19:53 27 Nov 04

My son wants an mp3 player for xmas. I know it compresses files, done a thread search and no info.

Basically,if anyone can spare 5 minutes explaining recording/converting/transferring techniques it would be much appreciated.

A few suggestions about software needed would also be nice.

Got Media Player 10 if that helps. Also Nero 6 and acute abdominal pains.

Ta

Taffy

VoG II 19:59 27 Nov 04

click here is what it is.

Await responses from those who actually use it.

bremner 19:59 27 Nov 04

The mp3 player you buy will normally come with software that 'rips' (converts) mp3 tracks from CD's. WMP10 will also do this. It will also be capable of transfering these tracks to the mp3 player.

Going in the other direction if you download mp3's from the web then a program like Nero will enable you to convert this back to CD format and burn this to a disk. WMP10 will also do this too.

Totally-braindead 20:00 27 Nov 04

Some MP3 players come with the relative software, if not you can always download a free convertor. Basically it takes the digital audio files from you CDs and cuts out the sounds you can't hear therefore making the file that much smaller. If you've been a PC Advisor reader for a while you'll already have the relevant software, MP3 toolkit from Jan 2004 issue, a good download one is audiograbber and its free.

v1asco 20:38 28 Nov 04

I will close now and ponder further.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…