What motherboard should i get

Wizz198303 23:58 04 Jan 05

Hi, iv already got a computer system but was interested in upgrading. I heard about these new graphics cards that will need "pci express slots" to fit into, only the older motherboards dont have these in em. So i just needed some recommendations on which to buy, and if their AMD apliant.

The system i have is about a year old so dont wish to buy a whole new system.

Quintus 00:21 05 Jan 05

If you were willing to upgrade your processor to an AMD 64 I would recommend an MSI board. They have never failed me in the past. I'm going to be building a new system myself and I'm going for the K8N Neo4 Platinum. For more information on this board click here . If you're planning on using two PCI-E cards together using SLI there are two MSI boards that support it: K8N SLI Platinum and the K8N Diamond. I'm not sure, but I might have heard that the K8N Diamond is unstable, but you'll have to check that one out yourself. I think you can find these boards all at Komplett for reasonable prices. Another thing to note is that some PCI-E graphics cards need to be plugged into the power supply. I'm have a little trouble finding out information on this :-\ Anyway, I hope I've been able to help.

Regards,

Quintus

Wizz198303 03:47 20 Jan 05

Thanks for your response im thinking of the platinum motherboard but i noticed theres different versions k8n 1-4 Nforce.

goonerbill © ® 10:19 20 Jan 05

i would get a new mobo with the nforce4 chipset, in a recent mobo test they outperformed all other chipsets by a fair bit.

my personnal choice would be one of these

nforce4 socket 939 click here click here

nforce3 socket 754 click here click here

goonerbill © ® 10:21 20 Jan 05

sorry. ignore nforce3 boards. forgot you wanted SLI

Wizz198303 23:05 20 Jan 05

So what motherboard would be the best SLI or the one Goonerbill mentioned??

Also the system i have is only a year old, i wont have any hardware problems would i???

2neat 23:26 20 Jan 05

1 yr old is a bit soon for upgrading. Did u buy a too low spec pc? Abit make good boards.
I have a Radeon 9800 pro. You will find these cards drop in price as sli takes off. It all depends how much dosh u wana throw at your upgrade.

Wizz198303 23:34 20 Jan 05

hmmm yeah probably a good idea to wait i suppose. Been looking around and it all seems a little too expensive.

Might just upgrade on the ram instead.

goonerbill © ® 11:39 21 Jan 05

yes, it is a bit expensive to upgrade to socket939 sli at the moment. for mobo, cpu and graphics card you looking at around £350+ - a few quid. i would give it 3 months and look again at prices and hopefully prices would have dropped to make it worth while upgrading.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…