What motherboard and processor?

Saltyseadog 19:38 24 Sep 04

I apologise if you have already read this thread in the Consumer watch forum, but I am reposting it here at Dorsai's suggestion. I primarily use the computer for surfing the net but my son uses it for online games. The original posting was as follows:-

I would appreciate some help in selecting a new motherboard and processor to upgrade my computer setup. I currently have a Mesh Matrix computer which I am very happy with but would like to update, I have been given an ATI Radeon 9700 graphics card by my brother but it is not being fully utilised by the motherboard which is an Asus A7A266 with an Athlon 1.4Ghz - DDR CPU(266Mhz). I'm running XP Home. The hardware resides in an ATX midi tower case with a 300W PSU. I don't wish to spend too much money and I am therefore not looking at the latest processors but preferably a decent processor/motherboard bundle that won't cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions please?

Diodorus Siculus 20:53 24 Sep 04

Have a look at the bundles that Novatech supply: click here

Gongoozler 20:59 24 Sep 04

Hi Saltyseadog. The problem we have here is that whatever motherboard and processor anyone recommends, someone else will suggest something more powerful. Your net surfing doesn't put any real demands on your computer, and what you have at present is ample. The requirement that is driving your need to upgrade is the online gaming. To have a chance at winning in online games you need a fast computer. You don't say how much money you want to spend, but you can always save a lot by buying the technology just before the latest. My suggestion is that you get a good motherboard that supports a 400MHz FSB, such as the ASUS A7V8X-X for under £35 click here, and an Athlon XP 3000+ for about £98 (you could spend £20 more for an Athlon XP 3200+ but I doubt you would notice the difference) click here. Even a slower Athlon such as the XP 2700+ is a seriously fast processor at a much lower price click here. You will probably want to fit a more powerful PSU, I suggest about 400W, and you will probably need more and faster memory. Don't forget that a more powerful processor will also probably need a more powerful heatsink.

Saltyseadog 10:40 27 Sep 04

Many thanks for the help, I've enough to check out now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…