What Motherboard

crapgamer 20:49 02 Apr 10

Hi I have a 4 year old mesh pc with Asus A8N-SLI MOBO and Athlon 64x2 3800 CPU. Ithink the mobo has died so have decided to upgrade. The plan was to get another socket 939 mobo but have seen some posts that this socket is coming to the end of its life. Therefore I need a mobo and cpu but have a tight budget. Does anybody have any suggestions? I would like to spend around £150 total but will stretch to £200 tops. I dont need onboard Grphics or sound as I have tidy cards I also have plenty of ram. Any suggestions would be welcome.

OTT_B 10:39 03 Apr 10

I'm a little bit sure that the Asus A8N uses DDR(1) RAM. Any motherboard & processor combo that you get now for the money your talking should use DDR2. Try something like click here

or

click here

or

click here

retep888 16:55 03 Apr 10

<<I dont need onboard Grphics or sound as I have tidy cards>>
You can get an ATX mobo without onboard graphic but all mobo nowaday comes with onboard sound,if you want to use your own sound card then go to bios setup and disable onboard sound.

<<I also have plenty of ram>>
I'm afraid you can't reuse them because newer mobo nowaday uses either DDR2 or DDR3.

Alternatives to OTT_B's suggestions but will stretch your top budget and a little beyond.

Motherboard click here
CPU(dual core) click here
DDR3 RAM click here (QVL listed)

This CPU (AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition)with that mobo(Asus M4A79XTD EVO)you can unlock the other 2 disabled cores if you wish,just do a research on the net.

Hopefully it'll keep you happy for a few more years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac