what modem

Jane doe 22:50 22 Oct 03

Hi all
I posted earlier today about a troublesome motorola modem since upgrading to Win XP. I found drivers but it still does not work right so Im buying a new one tomorrow. But what modem to buy? I went to Dabs.com but whats the difference between soft modem and hardware modem please? And which is suitable for XP. Thanks.

cycoze 23:21 22 Oct 03

I would advise a Hard Modem , as i understand it , soft modems generally have less chips on them ( controllers,data pump )and therefore use your system resources more to run , a hard modem incorporates everything it needs .

sil_ver 23:21 22 Oct 03

I think a software modem uses the motherboard etc to run it but a hardware modem runs independently and is the better buy. Having said that I bought a Trust 56K USB modem which ran just fine on XP.

woodchip 23:24 22 Oct 03

Plus External are easier to setup

rev.bem 23:28 22 Oct 03

Buy a modem that supports V92 protocols,i am currently using

click here

And it works fine.

The Sack 00:15 23 Oct 03

Any, PCs are that fast it doesnt matter anymore.

Jane doe 09:33 23 Oct 03

OK Thansk all. rev.bem good product did take a look but postage far too high, more than modem. Thanks again. Jane

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…