what model/processor laptop should I buy??

laptopdunce 17:26 23 Nov 14

Hi, my old windows XP acer laptop is now getting VERY VERY slow, using google chrome as a browser, its time to buy a new one I think, I have been told to look for an Intel processor but there are so few now with an Intel, only found an HP but with touchscreen that I dont want, have been looking an an Acer with i5 processor, 500b HD, I dont need a gigantic HD, mainly for emails/youtube/ebay light storage. what would you recommend - up to £400 budget, I have a toshiba windows 8 C50D only for printing from but thats a bit slow on youtube and really need a faster laptop for my main laptop, what would you recommend?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE seen this one at the major places like Tesco/argos/currys & online:- Acer E5-571 Core i5 but the prices vary widely (some come up with only an i3 processor so Im a bit wary of this - is it the i5 one thats the best to look for?

Jollyjohn 18:53 23 Nov 14

Hello

Having followed some of your previous posts and suggested help when applicable I would suggest it may be time to consider an Apple product. A Macbook will be more expensive than a Windows laptop but having recently helped a customer to move to a Mac I would recommend it over a Windows 8 computer. I am not against Microsoft but they have really failed with Windows 8 even adding Iobit start menu to W8 it is still not a nice operating system to work with.

laptopdunce 23:03 23 Nov 14

yes, I have windows 8 on the toshiba laptop and Im not keen on it at all, I have been told by a few people to get a Mac laptop, problem is the price, I only use this laptop for about 2 weeks a month, so its not like its every day in use 24/7, Is there not a different OS that is reasonably priced? I really liked my Windows XP but now its out of date and I am running only google chrome on this XP laptop its running v. slow and it really needs replacing, such a shame these IMBECILES at microsoft keep farting about with these bloody operating systems!! Why cant they take the lead from Apple and use an OS that is 995 permanent without CONSTANTLY buggering about with it!! Its the same on ebay, CONSTANTLY making idiotic changes that make a once FANTASTIC service into a bloody nightmare to navigate now!! If Apple was more reasonably priced I am sure they would DECIMATE microsoft overnight! but they are really TOO expensive for "average" people - Laptopdunce

laptopdunce 09:42 24 Nov 14

I have been looking around at Apple 15 inch laptops (I really need a minimum 15" screen as I always use a seperate raked keyboard and seperate mouse and need the minimum 15" screen to see it properly, also these tablets and small screen "netbook" things never display a page properly, like ebay or hotmail, you ALWAYS have to mess about scrolling up an down or side to side to see the relevant things, the cheapest 15" Mac I can find is about £1200 quid, this is just ABSURD for a laptop that is only used 2 weeks of the month! would you recommend buying a 2nd hand one from a "reputable" supplier? and if so, which one?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

SparkyJack 10:02 25 Nov 14

Take another slant at your problem.

An old XP machine could be given a new life by changing the operating system.

Linux Mint a free download installs and runs like XP and all the software comes incudled.

Google it and come back if you wish to go further.

Jollyjohn 10:47 25 Nov 14

I have been thinking, what do you want from your second laptop, what will it do for you that your W8 Toshiba can't?

I agree with SparkyJack, Linux is an alternative. I use Linux on my main computer and only log in to Windows for troubleshooting purposes.

SparkyJack 11:39 25 Nov 14

Just to stir your confusion even further,allow me to say fine as Macs are they are really for professional users( notice how they dominate TV desks)

I have 5 marines one desktop W7 one desktop Mint two ancient applies running Linux distros and the main Lenovo y510 p formally W8 , now Mint17.

The W7 is used for on here in the main.

SparkyJack 11:39 25 Nov 14

Just to stir your confusion even further,allow me to say fine as Macs are they are really for professional users( notice how they dominate TV desks)

I have 5 marines one desktop W7 one desktop Mint two ancient applies running Linux distros and the main Lenovo y510 p formally W8 , now Mint17.

The W7 is used for on here in the main.

Jollyjohn 12:27 25 Nov 14

Just for reference, have a look here click here eBuyer.com and I searched for Windows 7 laptops. W7 is a far better OS than W8, in my opinion. Note most of the screens are only 14"

laptopdunce 13:33 25 Nov 14

Hi, I am only a simple user, ebay/emails/surfing, I NEVER download music or movies (sometimes some little personal vids with sendspace or dropbox but not commercial downloads) its basically that my XP laptop is now running google chrome browser and Avast antivirus, It has been running SO SLOWLY for ages now and its become a real pain, the other laptop, the cheap Toshiba that I had to buy when I accidentally smashed the screen on the Asus one, works OK, its connected to a printer for my ebay and printing uses in another room, the main computer I use is this windows XP one, which is basically why I want to change it because its just running so slowly, its got no malware on it, its just very slow and with windows XP having no more updates I have been told to get a new one (lots of people have suggested the Mac laptop! but the prices are absurd really for a novice only using it for 2 weeks a month MAX!!) I am quite interested in installing this Linux Mint OS, if it is "easy" to do, how would it work? I would have to download it from somewhere in the first place, would it automatically "replace" the current XP one? or would I have to "save" it somewhere on a USB stick and then wipe all the drives on this XP laptop before I come to use the USB stick to install the new Linux Mint? I am bit "afraid" of all this, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

laptopdunce 13:51 25 Nov 14

PS: just looked at this link:- click here say exactly as SparkyJack says that it is a good option to replace XP with this one, so I am ready to give it a go, have you a website/link I should use to download the Linux mint? I guess I will have to transfer it to a USB stick of at least 8gb once it has downloaded? and then do I have to save all my photos/docs to an external USB drive too? I see it says that it installs the Linux Mint "alongside" the XP on the harddrive but this thing about "partitioning" worries me/dont understand it at all really, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

which

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…