What is this on the Microsoft update website?

CurlyWhirly 20:45 21 Sep 04

I have just been to check for updates and I was wondering what this download was

"High Priority Updates
Microsoft Corporation - Windows XP family

Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool (KB873374)
Download size: 214 KB, less than 1 minute
The Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool helps detect the presence of Microsoft products (other than Windows) that contain the GDI+ component. Microsoft customers can run this tool to help determine if a GDI+ security update is required. Microsoft recommends you visit the Office Update site to determine if your computer requires security updates for Office family products."

I have read about it under details but I am none the wiser!
It mention imaging software - does this refer to utilities like Drive Image 7 which I use for backups?
Any advice would be very welcome as I am not sure if I need to download this?
By the way I have Service Pack 2.

CurlyWhirly 20:47 21 Sep 04

p.s. I have NEVER seen this item before also I have NO Office family products so do I just ignore this in the future?

leo49 21:32 21 Sep 04

It's quite simple - the theoretical vulnerability which could exploit jpgs[if it was in the wild]in Windows could also exploit the same vulnerability in other MS products eg MS Office.You run the tool to check whether the other MS products also need fixing with patches.Or you could visit the respective homepages for those MS products and check for updates.

If you've no other MS products then you don't need it.

CurlyWhirly 21:36 21 Sep 04

I have NO other Microsoft products (apart from XP) so I will ignore it from now on.

billyliv 21:36 21 Sep 04

Hi, I installed the update you mention. It checks your computer for any vunerable programs linked to the office suite and lets you know if you need the update before the installation is completed. Therefore if your computer doesn't need the update, it doesn't instal. Cheers, Bill

CurlyWhirly 21:37 21 Sep 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…