//some 3rd party need geo

What a mess I've made!!

Petulant 19:59 19 Nov 03

I have a Medion desktop with XP which has behaved itself for 2 years. Then after a number of things went wrong I decided it would solve it all if I formatted the disk and re-installed XP. I followed instructions I found in the forum and booted from cd, took the option to install, deleted partition with XP on, created a new partition, formatted then installed XP.
To be honest I don't understand any of it and expected it all to be sorted. Instead I have no driver for my modem, the PCi Simple Communications Controller driver is 'not installed' (whatever that is!!) and same for Video Controller.
The boot up is awry as well - it comes up 'detecting IDE drives'and thinks about it a few mins before starting up. The cd drive has packed up and is not recognised and guess where my recovery disk is !!
The floppy drive isn't coming up either.
I have a DVD drive I can use if my recovery disk could be rescued from the cd drive or I could download onto my laptop to create a disk if necessary.
Is there anything I can do? Please help

the lone cloner 20:10 19 Nov 03

there may be a very small hole above the drawer eject for the cd drive by straightening out a paper clip you should be able to insert this into the hole and cause the drawer to open.

R4 20:37 19 Nov 03

Do as the lone cloner days, at least you will get your disk back.

Then start from scratch. Check your Bios and then try a boot floopy if you have one and use fdisk to remove any partition on the Hd.

You need quite a few drivers when doing a complete rebuild, so get them all first.

doesn't any one do 'Backups' Nowadays ?? (;-)

R4 20:54 19 Nov 03

There is a site that gives all the info but I cannot remember where it is, Maybe woodchip will know if he's around at present

vaughan007 21:14 19 Nov 03

It seems to me that your XP installation has not gone according to plan (suppose this is obvious)

With a "fresh" installation boot up should be pretty fast and smooth.

The basic Windows drivers should all be present and working correctly if your installation had gone OK. This means that your modem should work perfectly well. (Did you change your modem after you bought your PC?).

I would suggest re-installing again.

Also, go through all the stuff you got with your PC when you first bought it. I have a feeling a lot of the drivers will be on CDs or floppy disks. Obviously these will need updating as they are 2 years old.

There will definitely be a little hole that opens the CD drive.

Then try the install again.

Sorry, but this is the best advice I can manage.

rickf 21:22 19 Nov 03

Petulant,
I think you have used the wrong CD. You should have used the Application Support CD to restoe to factory settings. Instructions are in the manual. I have done this a couple of times. Just put the CD in the tray, then boot up and follow instructions. Its quite straightforward. There is a caution section inthe manual regarding using the Windows XP CD. Read it.Hope this helps.

Petulant 22:49 19 Nov 03

Thanks for your input.
I only have a Medion recovery disk.
I'll try reinstalling when I've rescued it - do I need to format the drive again?

dessi 23:05 19 Nov 03

could any of these sites be of use.

click here
click here
click here

keenan 23:13 19 Nov 03

This should help click here

Forum Editor 00:24 20 Nov 03

it isn't necessary.The Medion recovery disk will/should restore the machine to its factory state, however.............

These disks normally operate by looking for Win dows files that are in a hidden partition on the hard drive. The code on the disk sets up the Windows installation to the same state it was in when the machine was new. If you have manually installed Windows XP to the drive yourself there will be a problem, because the files will not be where the disk expects them to be (you mention that you deleted a partition and reformatted it), so you'll need to try it and see.

The problems you're having are not altogether related to missing drivers - the floppy drive not being recognised points to a BIOS problem, or to an internal connection being faulty - as does the missing CD ROM. Did you have the case during your open at all? As a matter of interest, what where the things that went wrong that made you embark on this procedure in the first place?

billyliv 00:44 20 Nov 03

Hi, A quick look at your probs suggest to me that the components that are causing grief are all motherboard related and you may need the motherboard disc. (Just a thought) Cheers, Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…