what is low level format?

david.h 17:17 24 Jun 03

I am thinking of a reformat and have normally used format command. but on a utility disc that came with my hard drive there is a tool for a "low level format"!
Is this the same thing or is there a difference or is it something I should beware of?
any help advice please

DieSse 17:29 24 Jun 03

A true "low-level" format is something you can't do, and is somewhat of a misnomer.

HDDs these days are low-level formatted at the factory, and their layout is quite sophisticated, and can't be changed (unlike the "old-days")

What amsquerades as a low-level format these days is often (and more correctly) termed a "zero fill". What a zero-fill does is to rewrite all the user sectors (there are sectors inaccessible to users, which contain manufactuers data) of the drive back to zeroes (ie blanks them out), and restore the drive to how it was when it left the factory. It removes eveything, including partitions.

There is nothing to beware of, but you must not use this utility on any drive other than the one it was designed for - usually restricted to the particular manufacturers drives.

woodchip 17:30 24 Jun 03

It is not received By modern Drives today and not recommended by drive Manufacturers

woodchip 17:32 24 Jun 03

Required not received, Will get it right one day

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…