What lead would i need to connect PC to a TV?

AdventCalendar 09:33 13 Aug 03

I have a small 15 hole port on the back of the computer, and want to be able to connect it to a TV so i can watch it through that.

any ideas what type, and where i can get it from?

many thanks

Yo Sammady Sam 09:49 13 Aug 03

What type of video card do you have? If we know this then the type of socket will be easy to work out. As far as i know you would need an s-vhs (s-video) cable from the video card to connect to the tv. But they are 5 pin connectors. It may be a DVI connector or another VGA connector for a monitor. This can be cleared up by knowing the video card.

slysy 09:51 13 Aug 03

Is it round, rectangular, what colour is it?

If you want to view your pc on a TV, you need to have a grafics card that has TV-out.
This normally is a small round black socket on a card on the back of the computer, similar to the mouse and keyboard type sockets.

You will then need to connect a cable from your PC to the TV, here you have a couple of options.
The TV end of the cable can be a scart type, as you would use to connect a video to TV.
Or can use a cable taht has 3 connections Red, Yellow and White plugs, some call them RCA. These also plug into your TV or into the front of your vidio.

For other users to give further advice, we would need to know if you have SCART and/or the vidio input connections, same as used if you connect a camcorder to your vidio. Or even the model number of TV
What graphics card do you have, if it a budget pc then the graphics my be "onboard", which basically means it cant be done with buying a new graphics card.

Sly Sy

AdventCalendar 10:28 13 Aug 03

ATI mobility Radeon....

the port on the back of the laptop is a 15 pin, and is black and rectangular. Its quite small, like the size you used to have on a mouse.

Ben Avery 10:45 13 Aug 03

is what it sounds like to me.

Yo Sammady Sam 10:46 13 Aug 03

Which version of ati mobility radeon?
7500? or 9000 or what?
need more info

-pops- 10:47 13 Aug 03

Do you really want to do this?

The definition on a TV set is very poor compared with a CRT monitor and will be even poorer comparing against a TFT screen.

My philosophy is use a computer for computing and a TV set for watching television. I've known several people who've had the arrangement you want and also people who've used their computer for watching TV. Either way, the novelty soon wore off.

If you're wanting to use the setup to watch DVDs, remember that you can get a dedicated DVD player for well under £100 nowadays.

AdventCalendar 10:56 13 Aug 03

I understand your points....the reason is that I have a couple of VCD's to watch and dont have the money right now to buy a DVD player....so this seemed an easy option.

How do i find the version number? All i could find was version 6.13

Ben Avery 11:04 13 Aug 03

The point being made my -pops- is that if you can watch VCD's on your PC, why not watch them on your PC?

AdventCalendar 11:06 13 Aug 03

if i watch them on a laptop the sound quality is poor unless i wear headphones. If i wear headphones then only I can hear it. So, if i want a couple of people to see it and hear it, through the TV seems a good option???

Stuartli 13:02 13 Aug 03

Local Kwik-Save selling DVD player at £37 and a few pence at present.....:-)

The GBP has been ripped off for several years over the prices of DVD players.

You can even buy an LG model complete with about 40 or 50 DVD titles for £49.99.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…