What laptop for internet use only?

Melvyno 21:08 20 Sep 06

I want to buy a laptop for about £500 that will mainly be used for wireless internet access only (alongside antivirus software). Is there any point in purchasing a core duo laptop or will something else be just as good? What is the difference between core duo, celeron and pentium m?

The main consideration is battery life.

Any recommendations?

sean-278262 23:33 20 Sep 06

Core duo is the latest offering and the fastest

Celeron is quite an old name but it is usually a cut down version of another processor these include Pentium 4s and other CPUs.

Pentium M (often called centrino but only when used with certain wireless gear) is the middle of the road processor. Before Core duo it was the flagship mobile processor.

If all you are after is internet access the currys 399 offerings will do you more than well enough. And from what people have been saying tesco is doing a 299 machine but it is hard to come by. However I cannot tell you more as I live in ROI till saturday.

If you can elaborate a bit more on what you plan to use the machine for we could make more suggestions however basically for internet any laptop will do.

Do you play games, encode video, like to watch movies etc etc and we can make more suggestions. Is it for business or pleasure. Will it be used in a hard environment?

terryf 23:39 20 Sep 06

If all you want to do is trawl the internet, send emails, I would look for the cheapest lowest spec laptop BUT are you sure that is all you want. I wouls spwnd time at your local library accessing the internet and see whether you want to do more.

Infidellic 03:17 21 Sep 06

Look around in your local ads. A second hand laptop with a new wireless card might be all you need if that's all you're doing. Check the specs properly though.

Who needs a five hundred pound laptop when a fifty pounder might be just as good for your purpose

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…