what laptop can i get for £200

clayton 18:30 13 Jan 03
  clayton 18:30 13 Jan 03

Hi my sister wants to buy her son a Laptop for his birthday she has about £200 to spend what sort of thing should i look for as i dont know anything about them, would it be able to play games ? thanks for any help you can give on this & if you know good places to buy please post links.

Sir Radfordin™ 18:32 13 Jan 03

You won't get anything worth having for that much.

That is unless her sone is about 3 and would be happy with a toy laptop that does a bit more than a typewriter.

northamuk 18:35 13 Jan 03

You will only get an older, used, one for that price.

PA28 18:36 13 Jan 03

You're firmly in secondhand country here - if you're lucky! Laptops as new start from around £700 for base spec (they're not too hot at games as they usually have limited graphics at this price). Even for a desktop, £200 is secondhand prices - you may get something like a basic P3 500 for around this price secondhand.

Have a look in your local freepapers or local dealers - or perhaps an auction site on the net may offer you something. Personally for £200 and with the emphasis on games, I think I'd be looking at a PS2 or similar games console (which is no use for anything else).

Watch out for laptops offered cheap on mobile phone numbers - they tend to come with flashing blue lights attached!

y_not 20:15 13 Jan 03

click here for end of line, out dated and bankrupt stocks.

The available list changes almost daily so if you don't see anything now try again tomorrow.

Oh, and they've been around for a while so giving them credit card details is fairly safe.

Good luck

siarad 20:33 13 Jan 03

Similarly Sterling click here

clayton 20:58 13 Jan 03

Thanks for your replys didnt think it was a good idea.

1832bchs 10:36 14 Jan 03

Try e-bay. I got an IBM thinkpad for around that price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…