what the kbps?! confused about BB speeds

powertool 20:43 28 Mar 04

Hi - can someone help me understand speed numbers?

I just got connected to AOL 1Mb. I am pleased with it - but I got a message from my real player to tell me that I was connecting at 512k. My mate says that this means that AOL have put me on the regular BB and not the 1MB. Having never had any sort of BB before I haven't a clue!

In my tray the arrows say that the upstream/downstream is 288/1152. I have tried to use AOL's own speedchecker, but I must be thick or something because I couldnt understand the dividing by 8 and then using a conversion table!

Any advice?

thanks in advance!

VoG II 20:45 28 Mar 04
  The Spires 20:47 28 Mar 04

click here If your at 100 ish you are on 1 meg, at 50 ish 0.5.

woodchip 20:49 28 Mar 04

Kilo Bits Per Second

Gongoozler 20:56 28 Mar 04

There are 8 bits to a byte, but some extra bits are added in data transmission, so as a rule-of-thumb for the sake of your internet connection you can consider the transmission bytes rate to be a tenth of the bit rate.

powertool 21:17 28 Mar 04

used the speed test and got 106 so can rest assured. I think I understand the bits bytes thing now too

regards

Pt

john-232317 21:39 28 Mar 04

Cheers for the link, mine was 28.7KB / sec with telefonica Spain, just over 1/4 mb, is that right ?

been on another forum about BB round the world, and someone who is in France reckons they are getting...:

" wanadoo in France

as I type, 4220 out 4590 in "

I have been on the wannadoo site and cant find speeds like that advertised, only roughly the same as mine, do you reckon they have forgotten the decimal point ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…