What just happened to my pc?

cdb 18:00 15 Jan 03
  cdb 18:00 15 Jan 03

I turned on my pc just now and all seemed fine. Then I logged into my windows xp user account, it was abit sluggish. I opened MSN explorer and the screen went black and came up power saver mode. I couldn't get any response from my pc, so I had to hold the start button in until it turned off, so I could restart my pc. When it came back on, chkdsk ran and did it's stuff. Found a few errors and changed some id to a default id. Kept saying something about $130, think it was a file or something. Any guesses as to what happened?

spankmonkey 18:16 15 Jan 03

sounds scary
might be a VIRUS
have u got a virus protection software on your PC

cdb 18:21 15 Jan 03

and it's up todate. Don't scare me like that. :O

€dstow 18:42 15 Jan 03

I can't see that a "legitimate" computer error should mention $130. Is that the price to put it right?;-)

No, I would do an online virus scan click here

€d

cdb 21:06 15 Jan 03

Just got my digital photo back from the developers. The screen said "chkdsk is veryifying files (stage 1 of 3) blah corrupt attribute blah blah deleting orphan file record segment 66784, correcting error in index $130 for files 23082 and a couple of other bits. sorry, too lazy to type the whole screen in.

DieSse 21:11 15 Jan 03

I would run a thorough test of the Hard Drive for a starters.

Corruption on a hard drive is not a nice thing - whether hardware or software caused.

cdb 21:15 15 Jan 03

Isn't that what chkdsk just did?

Gaz 25 21:22 15 Jan 03

No chckdsk just checks for errors not viruses.

Gaz 25 21:23 15 Jan 03

No chckdsk just checks for errors not viruses.

PhilipH 21:30 15 Jan 03

Type eventvwr.msc in the run box and check the event viewer for any odvious causes, to run a thorough chkdsk type chkdsk c: /r this checks data files and runs a surface scan as well as the normal scans.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…