What is ideal HDD setup

phoenix_one 18:50 09 Sep 03

I have 2 hard drives and recently done a complete reformat of the drives.

I am looking to setup my PC to run as fast as possible.

My setup is
C: master drive 7200 rpm 60Gb with XP
F: slave drive 5400 rpm 30 Gb

I was told that installing games on a different hdd from the os would be faster, but is this wise considering it would go to the slave drive that runs slower.

Which drive would you advise me to install my games and apps on to have maximum performance.

And a little niggle how do i change the drive from f: to d:

I have tried the admin tools but due to the optical drives taking d: and e: i cant select d: for the hdd.

Any help and advise??

JC

phoenix_one 19:16 09 Sep 03

bump

seedie 19:47 09 Sep 03

Have you got the jumper on the slave drive as slave?
Try putting a sys on it and re-boot

CD

goonerbill 20:27 09 Sep 03

to change the drive to D from F, move the optical drives to G an H, now D is free and XP should now let you change F to D and change ya optical drives to what ever letter you like now ( E, F).

the only problem with moving ya optical drives is that any progs (games) that go looking for a cd, wont find it where the drive use to be, so will need to either reload the program or to manually edit the link to the correct path.

i have my OS and main progs on C and anything else ( games etc:) on D. whether they run any better or not, cant say but it keeps ya main hard drive easier to manage and less fragmented with adding and removing programs.

goonerbill 20:27 09 Sep 03

to change the drive to D from F, move the optical drives to G an H, now D is free and XP should now let you change F to D and change ya optical drives to what ever letter you like now ( E, F).

the only problem with moving ya optical drives is that any progs (games) that go looking for a cd, wont find it where the drive use to be, so will need to either reload the program or to manually edit the link to the correct path.

i have my OS and main progs on C and anything else ( games etc:) on D. whether they run any better or not, cant say but it keeps ya main hard drive easier to manage and less fragmented with adding and removing programs.

phoenix_one 20:34 09 Sep 03

Yes but how do u change the optical drives letter

I cant find that

Soz im a bit of a noob to software, prefer buildin stuff

phoenix_one 20:54 09 Sep 03

Yeh resolved it myself usind the guide of goonerbill.

Thankyou all

Found the tab to change the drives and have rebooted and all is fine.

I have a C and D hard drive group and my E and F optical drives. Just as I wanted.

But does anyone know about which hard drives are best for the games / apps I guess i shall have to see.

Think ill be able 2 tick the box soon

Thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017