what i need for network

jagsman 23:56 01 Aug 05

I am looking to build a wireless network to share my broadband internet connection between 2 desktop PCs. At the moment i have a NTL cable modem connected to my PC via a USB cable and i would like to share the internet connection with my daughters PC in her room. What i am not to sure about is what hardware i need to do this. I know i need a router,( but im not sure which type). I dont know what adapters i need ( USB or PCI) .

tasslehoff burrfoot 00:05 02 Aug 05

you can create an ad-hoc network between 2 PCs and share the internet connection between them. The problem with this is the computer with the modem attached must be switched on for the other to get online.

With a router, this is obviously not a problem.

AIUI there is no performance difference between PCI cards and USB thingies so I guess it's up to.

With regard to the router, check the box before buying and make sure it says it's compatible on it.

Tim1964 01:00 02 Aug 05

As Tasslehoff Burrfoot says, the simplest method would be to buy two USB wireless 'dongles' (about £15 ea.)and plug them into a spare USB port on each machine. Run the internet connection sharing wizard, and you're off (or should that be on?)

It seems to be a more popular choice, by 'those in the know' that using a network card is less resource hungry than USB for the PC to modem connection and I would recommend swapping it over to the NIC connection.

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless (+ wired) router and a USB adapter for my laptop, which came to about £60

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…