What HTML editors do you use?

Sturmey 18:48 24 Aug 04

Hi, just wanted to get the low down on HTMl editors, I am new to web design I have a little HTML knowledge. I heard a lot about Macromedia dreamweaver is it the best for beginner/inermediate or has anyone used Adobe Golive or any others of note.

Thanks

Forum Editor 19:07 24 Aug 04

in fact it's probably the most common question, and my answer is always the same.

DreamWeaver is an excellent web-design programme, but it has a farly steep learning curve, and I wouldn't personally recommend it for your first encounter with WYSIWYG web-design applications. Leave it for later - when you've gained some experience.

That leaves me with two recommendations - either Microsoft's FrontPage 2003, which is every bit as powerful as DreamWeaver (more so in some respects) but an easier ride for beginners, or NetObjects Fusion, which might prove the better choice at the beginning. Its latest version is a delight to use, and has dozens of ready-to-go templates. Few people have an unlimited budget, and if I had to pick the ideal programme for the complete beginner my vote would go to NOF. If it's your birthday treat yourself to FrontPage as well, and practice. Bear in mind that to get the very best out of FrontPage you'll need to host your site on a Windows server with the FrontPage extensions installed, and if you want to know what all that's about post back and one of us will explain.

Sturmey 19:58 24 Aug 04

Hey thanks a lot, never heard of NetObjects I will check it out. I've heard of frontpage and frontpage extensions didnt know they had to be hosted on windows server tho. Just out of interest, I know that pcadvisor site is dynamic but what technology do you use is it asp,php etc.

Taran 23:24 24 Aug 04

Macromedia Cold Fusion on a Windows IIS server.

Cold Fusion is a broadly similar concept to PHP and ASP. The commands in the Cold Fusion Markup are processed by the web server and the output is sent to the web browser as HTML. That is a gross oversimplification but it holds true for all the dynamic languages.

For more information about Cold Fusion try this link:

click here

NetObjects Fusion details are at this link: click here

I like NetObjects and have done for a long time now. Version 8 is a serious program with lots of very professional looking templates and themes and some nice tools built in. In terms of value for money and overall usability it takes some beating.

Sturmey 19:07 25 Aug 04

Thanks, I'm d/l netobjects trail at the moment and didnt even realise I owned Frontpage 2003 didnt know it is part of Office so will be playing with that too.

TG1011 01:09 10 Sep 04

You might consider the latest version of Homesite form Macromedia. It's probably the most comprehensive, if not the best, HTML/DHTML scripting editor around

zoomer 13:03 10 Sep 04

Eminently worthy to make a fist of things with notepad to grasp the basics, then you really appreciate the labour saving that WYSIWYG apps give you.

Evad 18:39 12 Sep 04

As an alternative to WordPad try TextPad. It has a clip library which includes HTML Tags and HTML Characters. click here

johnmil 20:58 14 Sep 04

I have used a text based editor called Arachnophilia for ages now - I prefer the older 4.0 but there is a more up to date 5.2 using Java as well.(And they are both free) Check out at click here
Coffeecup HTML editor is another good one with loads of Java applets etc (Shareware though)
Whatever you do always check your code at click here for errors, that way all other browsers will view it as well as Uncle Bill's.(Which will allow terrible HTML errors to still work)

Baledor 14:17 16 Sep 04

I use VisualInterDev and I loves it!

Belatucadrus 16:11 16 Sep 04

I like Namo Webeditor, I got it off a cover CD but rate it highly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac